Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever use simon and garfunkel on lamb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever use simon and garfunkel on lamb?

Ive got a lamb rack i was going to cook for xmas and was wondering if anyone had tested the flavor profile of S&G with lamb?

I have not. This is my go to rub for Lamb. The ingredient include Coarse sea salt, garlic, lemon peel, onion, black pepper, fennel, rosemary, Mediterranean thyme, sage, basil, parsley, Greek oregano, spearmint, marjoram. It is outstanding.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I do something very similar (and will be doing on lamb this week as well) which is to use your basic recipe but instead of sourcing and mixing the fennel, rosemary, thyme, sage, basil and mint try substituting Herbs de Provence. It's a good shortcut to the same results

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip Troutman! I have Herbs de Provence and sadly just don't know what to use it for unless it is specifically called for in a recipe. I has very surprised to see chef Jean-Pierre use Herbs de Provence on prime rib in a recent video. I always associated it with Poultry & Foul.

No, but Mint Jelly is very good with lamb.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw YES!!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I grew up with a fresh mint and vinegar concoction my mom made with our lamb roast (not a jelly). If my memory serves correct it wasn't half bad but it's more than 35 years ago so who knows ☺ Donw
      I am not at all a fan of mint jelly.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      holehogg Mint sauce is good especially with mutton and goat. The tartness from the vinegar balances out well with the mint. I’m sure it would be good with lamb too. Jelly is another story though.

Yes, I use it fairly regularly on lamb. Great stuff. It is great, and you will love it. Go a little heavier on the Rosemary, I always do anyway.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to hear. I thought it should work but the last thing you want to do is experiment for the first time and ruin xmas dinner, lol.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - were you the one who posted that here awhile back? I saw the question and was racking (pun intended) my brain trying to remember who it was. The review was really favorable.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      It may have been me, honestly, I can't really remember. But I will say, it was very good! So how is that for an OFFICIALl favorable review? tbob4

I do use on chops before grilling over live fire don't care for it on chicken myself.
    I recommended S&G to a friend who spits whole lamb as a catering sideline. It's now his go to rub. Think he made a few adjustments on some of the ingredient measurements.

Comment

We're doing a rack of lamb as well GG. What are you pairing with yours? I'm still up in the air, tired of the same old same old.

Comment

I have used the S&G on lamb and it was great, if following the recipe directly I prefer the dolly's Lamb rub, I suspect a bit of Bay Leaf added to the S&G would be a nice addition and possible some extra Rosemary (I love Rosemary though)

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought S&G had a ton of bay leaves as I recall?

• Davek8282
        Davek8282 commented
        Editing a comment
        Bay leaf crushed versus ground, not sure how it would impact, maybe no difference?

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here