Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Goat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Goat

One of my summer goals was to smoke a goat. I finally got the chance this weekend. Turned out pretty well. Excellent flavor though the meat had a bit more chew than I would like. Next time I will try an overnight marinade (I do a lamb leg marinated in greek yogurt with mint and cumin that is great) and/or apply the texas crutch earlier in the cooking process so that it has a chance to braise a bit in the foil. Here is my story (with photos!)

Bought half a goat at my local carniceria (about 10 lbs). The butcher cut it down for me using the big saw, into pieces that were roughly two inches thick and 10 long. He cut across the ribs. It turned out to be a lot of goat so I used half of that for my first run.

I applied a rub with salt and pepper, cumin, mustard, cardomom, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, guajillo and chipotle pepper. Also cut thin slices here and there and stuffed em with sliced garlic.

Then on the WSM with a bit of apple and hickory chunks. Temp started out hot (about 270) but after 30 minutes I got it down to the 225-250 range, where is stayed the rest of the cook. I had my thermometer probe in the biggest piece. Temp steadily climbed to about 165, then it hit a stall at about the 1 hour mark. I didn't realize goat stalled but why not? At 3.5 hours they were still mid stall and had developed a meteorite bark. I wrapped them individually in foil with a bit of beer. Temp started climbing again and I took them off at internal temp 205 degrees (I was actually hoping to take them off at 195 but didn't make it downstairs in time). They looked like this. Little goat asteroids.

They didn't pull apart so I attacked the parts with a knife and got some nice sliced pieces. Good looking pink smoke rings.

Then served with some home made pita bread (Mrs. Meat-2's contribution), stewed eggplant and chickpeas over wild rice, and a citrus salad. On the side I made a harissa (hot) and yogurt sauce with mint, lemon juice and some more of the spice rub (cool). Very tasty. Goat was no more gamey than a good piece of lamb. Smoke flavor was very pronounced but matched the game taste nicely. As I said, next time a bit of marinade and earlier crutching will hopefully create a more tender product but for a first try I'm pretty satisfied.

Attached Files
    Last edited by R2-Meat2; September 21, 2015, 12:14 PM.

Got to get me some goat meat it's been a long time since I had any.

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      hahaha... yeah I want some too!

Trying to find somewhere around here to buy it, is really hard.

My wife and kids won't touch it, so I get to be the one and only taste tester in my family

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember back when I was knee high to a grasshopper my grandfather gave me a piece of goat meat and told me it was chicken and I wanted more.

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha, DWCowles we once told two particularly fussy kids that calamari were onion rings and they hammered an entire plateful! They were horrified a few hours later when we told them!

When I cook goat, I add a little beer, butter, a little rub, and some sriracha in the foil when I wrap.

Comment

Looks good. All I have ever done is Jamaican style curried goat.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I cook Jamaican Curry (NOT "curried&quot Goat frequently. I have also made South Asian (Indo/Pak) Bhuna Goat (Bhuna is actually a cooking style). Goat is often/usually referred to as mutton in South Asian recipes. I had to get used to the fact that "mutton" meant goat, not mature sheep meat.

My pastor has made many trips to Africa and raves about the goat there. We are planning a mens's night goat cook. I was planning on using the rotisserie on my pellet grill. Sounds like most of you guys wrap though.

Comment

I love goat. I try to find it every time I head down to the Caribbean.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here