Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suckling Goat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suckling Goat?

Ive done a few suckling pigs and want to branch out a bit. Has anyone here done a suckling goat? If so, any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Google cabrito recipes

Recipes - Su Cabrito (sucabritousa.com)
    Last edited by gcdmd; August 1, 2021, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      You beat me to it!

Are you kidding?

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't kid around and get his goat.

Originally posted by RonB View Post
    Are you kidding?
    Very serious

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Eric2662 I believe RonB was making an ill fated attempt at humor. Kid, as in goat, kid..ing

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      There are a lot of twisted minds on this site. Puns, especially bad ones, are a favorite manifestation.

• Eric2662
      Eric2662 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good one. haha I didn't catch it. 😂

Yes I have cooked up a few cabritos. Let's clarify what you are saying by "Suckling goat" which means a young goat still on the teet. For me a suckling goat still on the teet would be tiny and have pretty much no meat on it. You would want a goat 6-12 months old, not a suckling.
    Grill the goat over live fire and go easy on the smoke. Rosemary/fennel/garlic and salt. Delicious.

Comment

• Eric2662
      Eric2662 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh ok. Thats good to know! Thanks!

Let us know how your suckling goat turns out. I enjoy pictures and recipes.
    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; August 1, 2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• Eric2662
      Eric2662 commented
      Editing a comment
      I definitely will!

I was able to get 'young goat' ribs and tenderloin over the weekend (males / 6 months).
    Never smoked goat ribs before so I tried a "3-2-1" based method...

I used a simple (and not too much) rub of salt, black pepper, garlic, cumin and chili.

Total cooking time was about 4hrs / 190-195F internal:

- 1.5h - sprayed each 20mins or so (50/50 apple cider vinegar / coke zero)
    - 1.5h - wrapped in foil with some salt-free butter
    - 1.0h - light glaze (50/50 bbq sauce / apple cider vinegar)

The tenderloins are a different story...had them many times before...and as always Indonesian style sate only for these parts..."Sate Kambing". I pretty much follow the recipe of Lonny Gerungan with a personal touch...just search for "Lonny" + "Kambing" to get the base recipe.

The ribs were excellent...I might give it 30-45mins more in "phase I" the next time...even the young ones are pretty tough

The sate kambing was, as always, amazing...def. one of my favourites...

Happy Smoking!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Meaty and fatty looking ribs. Just what you want.

No but if you want to expand on your suckling pig experiences in another post it would be welcomed with open arms!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here