Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Separated leg of lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Separated leg of lamb

Does anyone have experience completely separating a boneless leg of lamb into individual muscles?

I am looking to do a hot and fast grill of these individual pieces. I plan on treating them more like a steak than a roast.

Reverse sear? Live fire JKF? I am definitely looking to do something direct over charcoal. Anyone have any advice?

P.S. the lamb eye of round is just so darn cute.

The smaller cuts trimmed will be used in kebabs.
    Attached Files

Can't speak to boneless lamb legs, but when we get a bone-in leg we have the butcher cut 4 or 5 1" thick steaks from the thickest part (see picture). Then we just dry brine and cook it hot and fast on the kettle or the gasser just like we would a beef steak. Same should (probably) work for boneless if you cut it across the grain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	lamb steak.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.7 KB ID:	1002877

Comment

• Stuey1515
      Stuey1515 commented
      Editing a comment
      Bone-in lamb leg steaks marinated with garlic and a little mint sauce then char grilled are one of life's great pleasures đź‘Ť

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Stuey1515 Since childhood I've loved lamb steaks grilled on the rare side of medium-rare (70 is now in the rear view mirror). To me though, I like the taste of the lamb and usually avoid other flavors/rubs, etc., although sometimes we use a little lightly garliced butter.

We cut up lamb legs for marinated kebabs fairly often and for us the main thing is not to go over 130 internal, we like them at 125. We find they can start to get a little tough after 130. Good luck and look forward to pics of this journey.

Comment

I ended up doing a reverse sear on these pieces of leg of lamb. I am very happy with the results. Cut across the grain, they were tender and flavorful.

Birthday meal for my father:
      Hasselback waffle potatoes, grilled asparagus, grilled leg of lamb:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6323.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1003480

Cooking/process photos:

Name:	IMG-6299.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	1003478Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6306.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1003477Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6308.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1003479Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-6315.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1003481

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Although a little more work, I like your approach. I just did a whole roast and loved it, yours looks just as good !!

Wow, I bet this was awesome. reverse sear is always a good way to go. Although, I have been going with the JFK for a while now and I love doing it that way.

Great looking cook.

Comment

This recipe gave me the idea to separate it:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/grilled-leg-lamb-garlic-and-rosemary

And I followed this video for the separation (even though he calls the pieces by the wrong names):

Comment

Outstanding. I love lamb. Unfortunately the wife does not. So I don’t eat it often.

Comment

Sandwich from the leftovers:

Name:	IMG-6339.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1003981

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here