Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And it begins!! Deer sausage season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And it begins!! Deer sausage season

Well deer season is almost over here in minnesota.. so now it is time to make sausage . I started yesterday made teriyaki snack sticks , polish and summer sausage ,. 150 lbs in total. Today it was hot dogs and sticks . I keep forgetting to take pics but here is a picture of the smoker with 50 lbs of hot dogs and 75 lbs of sticks.. Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201203_192652767.MP.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	949893

Can I have some? Please. Pretty please. 🕶
    Last edited by FireMan; December 4, 2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Me too please? Love it!!

Comment

Ur rocking’ it man 👍👍👍👍

Comment

That is a sweet looking set up there! I'm approaching a nice helping of tag soup, the morning hunt will let me know how close I am.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Ahh the dreaded tag soup!!! The deer are so thick around here it is ridiculous,. To bad I am sick of cutting them up!?

Looking good! The combo of covid having everybody buying whole hogs and half beefs and hunting in an intensive harvest zone left us with lots of venison but nobody to process it. No freezer space left and plenty of jerky in the way!

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            How many pounds do ya have?? I could make ya some stuff!!

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            Backroadmeats I would love to if it weren’t for the drive! You have a storefront I can stop by and browse if I can ever take a trip to the cities right?

Man, your pics always have me drooling

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            I will have more!! I have till January 15th blocked off for deer sausage!! So if your bored??

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Backroadmeats, tempting, even with covid and snow. OK, I could mask and glove up for the covid, but the snow???

Dead deer done right.

Comment

150 lbs of sticks and 75 lbs of hot dogs.. I had another cart with summer sausage and polish kielbasa on it but forgot to take a picture in the chaos . Stuffed and smoked 400 lbs yesterday.. packaging day today?? Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201208_224302660.MP.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	953191Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201208_224306919.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	953192

Comment

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Holy smokin' sausage, Batman!

Busy day Friday we stuffed 450 lbs of sausage.. I started smoking Saturday morning with 150 lbs of brats and 25 lbs of hot dogs.. the next smoker load of the day was 75 pounds of sticks an 90 pounds of bacon ( because I am sick of sausage and I had room in the smoker ) .. then Sunday I smoked 150 lbs of summer sausage and 50 lbs of venison bacon.. this should keep the ladies busy wrapping tomorrow!! Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201212_122610581.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	955447Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201212_122622711.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	955448Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201212_181929277.MP.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	955449Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201212_224615599.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	955450Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201212_124703367.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	955451

Comment

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Damn. Sorry for the language, but...

All I can say is WOW!

I was given 4 quarters of venison, processed it today to get 18.5# meat (not counting backstraps and tenderloins). Gonna make all of it (except the backstraps and tenderloins) into smoked jalapeno cheddar snack stix.

Comment

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              Backroadmeats I'm copying a youtube video. 10lbs lean meat and 5lbs pork belly. Milk powder, salt, Prague powder #1, garlic powder, dried jalapenos, a bottle of jalapeno hot sauce (I'm using Tabasco brand). Instead of water I'm using beer from my local brew pub. Any pointers are greatly appreciated. https://youtu.be/GPpO1Yoi8ZQ

• Backroadmeats
              Backroadmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              I do 50/50 pork to venison ratio. I do everything in 25 lb batches ,. So if I were making them I would use a willies snack sticks seasoning from p&s seasonings. To the 25 lb of meat I would add 1 lb chopped fresh jalapeno and 2 1/2 lbs of high temp cheddar cheese,. Two cups of milk powder and 2 cups water/beer. I tried making my own seasoning blends for years but have found buying them is way easier and consistent. That is just my 2 cents let me know how they turn out!!

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the input - if this recipe doesn't work out I'm planning to order a seasoning mix next attempt. I often make my own seasoning blends for links and breakfast sausage (I mostly use proven recipes from others - not a big deal since I make way less sausage than a commercial operation) but when I made summer sausage (venison & beef) I bought the seasoning mix from a local meat processor whose sausage I really like - its so good why try to reinvent the wheel?

I got to thinking tonight as I was switching out smoker loads that I never take a picture when I swap trucks. The stainless racks you guys always see my sausages and bacons loaded on are called smoker truck.. aka carts with wheels on the bottom.y smoker has a ramp that folds down and I just push the whole cart in and when done I can pull the whole cart out and push it in the walk in cooler when the sausage is done.. the first cart has 75 lbs of venison bacon and 25 lbs of bologna on it,. I already took our 150 lbs of summer sausage that was done a few hours ago..the next truck 150 lbs of brats on it and 50 lbs of hot dogs ..the contraption on the left of the smoker is a smoke generator . It stores sawdust in the cone looking thing on the top and feeds it to a hot plate int the cabinet below ,. That is pulled in the smoker by a fan inside the smoker. Maybe nobody cares but since all I do right now is smoke deer sausage I thought I would share!!! Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201217_224335977.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	957805Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201217_224419473.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	957806Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201217_224444062.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	957807Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201217_224542971.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	957808

Comment

• Backroadmeats
              Backroadmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Skip . You may find this impossible as do a lot of people that help me,. But right now I can't even eat sausage as it tastes terrible.. a girl that helps in the shop said she couldn't eat the spaghetti her mom made the other night because it had pork sausage in it.. oh well it will taste good again in a few months !?

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Nobody cares? I care so much I have tears in my eyes

• Backroadmeats
              Backroadmeats commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't cry klflowers !! The smell of the inside of that smoker almost makes me gag right now!!

Here is a picture of the finished hot dogs! Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201218_010342759.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	957923

Comment

And the brats Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201218_013836525.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	957975

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Man those look good

Backroadmeats where's your favorite place to get your seasonings, casings and other sausage making supplies?

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                I buy almost everything from gohman supply. They sell p&s seasonings and have anything butcher shop related from equipment to wrapping paper. The staff is very knowledgeable. I do use a few seasonings from ac leggs also.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here