Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian Sausage Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Sausage Ideas

I ended up with a ton of Italian sausage in the freezer. While I love it by itself, I was curious if you all had any creative ideas/recipes to do with it? Thanks!

Substitute for breakfast sausage in a sausage gravy (biscuits 'n gravy). I'll do that with chorizo as well. Definitely use in a red meat sauce, either fully of fifty/fifty with ground beef. Italian sausage burger anyone? Anything that calls for ground beef.

Comment

• MTurney
      MTurney commented
      Editing a comment
      GREAT ideas thanks!

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I LOVE an Italian sausage patty burger - extra points for making it a cheeseburger with either muenster or aged (i.e. sharp) provolone. Double bonus points if it's hot Italian sausage!

I like to dice it up (Pre cooked) and have it in an omelette with whatever cheese I have in the fridge.

Comment

Penne pasta, in a garlic and olive oil concoction, and add broccoli or spinach to give it some color.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        +Butter lol!!!

Sausage and peppers in a hoagie.

Comment

• MTurney
        MTurney commented
        Editing a comment
        Done that one a few times...still one of my favorite sandwiches

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        +cheese, thin sliced tomatoes, veggies of your choice.

If ground up (not in casing), use in spaghetti!

Comment

Use it in a jambalaya.

Comment

1. Sausage stuffing for roast chicken or (especially) turkey! The easy way is to just add a decent amount to a package (or 2) of commercial stuffing mix. Or, of course, make your own.
          2. Lasagna with meat sauce.

Comment

my favorite uses outside of a sausage hero

-Use it to stuff jalapeños, Cubanelle or any other hot pepper

- make a sausage ragu to top polenta or pasta

- my favorite pasta dish - orecchiette with sauage and broccoli rabe

or save it an use in your stuffing for thanksgiving

Comment

Lasagna,

Comment

• Andrrr
                Andrrr commented
                Editing a comment
                Every time someone tells me they use ground beef for lasagna a kitten dies

• surfdog
                surfdog commented
                Editing a comment
                Andrrr One of my youngest son’s fave things to say...
                His other is a question when people do things like that...
                "Sheesh, do you also punch babies?"

Oh gawd, I have to make sum Eye-talian sausage now!!!

Comment

• Andrrr
                Andrrr commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha. I thought the same thing. So many good ideas above...

• MTurney
                MTurney commented
                Editing a comment
                Right?? Man these guys delivered!

#1 - Sausage over pasta (spaghetti) with pesto sauce.
              #2 - Sausage, shrimp and grits.

Comment

Scotch Egg,
                Cranberry stuffing,
                maybe bacon wrapped sausage stuffed with cheese/slice of jalapeño ABT like,
                Meatballs,
                Par cook a patty, bread it with panko and fry it in lard.
                stuff onto a casing and freeze

Comment

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh...I gotta say that I LOVE scotch eggs, but haven’t ever made them with Italian sausage.
                  Time for a variation on a theme. Thanks

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just googled Scotch Eggs, now I am adding them to my bucket list.

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Scotch eggs are - I can't even think of a good word for them. I need to try them with italian sausage. Great idea.

Great ideas above. But didn’t see soup mentioned. Especially with fall coming. We make Italian soup with Swt. Italian sausage. Beef broth, tomatoes, zucchini, green/red peppers, red wine, onion, garlic, Italian parsley and topped with Parmesan cheese. Oh, so good.

Comment

• TripleB
                  TripleB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HouseHomey - their mild peppers, the big common store bought kind. No heartburn. Broth, up to you. I generally make my pork and chicken broth from scratch. Beef bones hard to come by up here in the foothills.

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Isn't this Italian Wedding Soup? I have made a very similar version, even though I am just an honorary Italian (long story), and it wasn't at my wedding.

• TripleB
                  TripleB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  klflowers - The soup base I'm sure is similar to It. wedding soup, but we don't make the little meat balls or add escarole and orzo pasta.

That's a good problem to have! I've made this a few times and it's pretty killer:

Comment

• klflowers
                  klflowers commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Added this to my to cook list. Thanks!!!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here