Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Me Your Hot Dog or Sausage Cooks !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show Me Your Hot Dog or Sausage Cooks !!

With just having had some fun with the Chicago Dog post and thinking back a couple of years on JeffJ 's Coney Dog thread, I thought it would be fun to give a shout out to the ubiquitous hot dog. There hasn't been much celebrated about either here of late. Don't know if this will get any traction or not but it's summer and tons of hot dogs are going to be consumed. In fact in 2019 we Americans alone consumed $6.2 billion worth of them and sausages alone !! Believe it or not, it wasn't New York or Chicago that ate the most hot dogs, but Los Angeles consuming 30 million pounds of tubular deliciousness !!

Anyway, I'm a big hot dog and sausage freak. Having German blood coursing through my veins I grew up eating both. Here in Texas the Hill Country is not only famous for bbq beef but for it's variety of sausages owed to the large German population in the region (not to mention the Bock beer !!).

So a simple request on my part, show me your hot dog and sausage cooks !! You got kielbasas, andouilles, brats, Italians, chorizos or even the lowly frank, post those cooks here. Love to see 'em, let's celebrate summer with a dog and a beer !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	hot dogs 01.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	878792

No pics to share but I love this post!! Hot dogs are my absolute number 1 bbq/grill favorite. I would rather eat good dogs and sausage than a ribeye.
    Ever since I began outdoor cooking about 40 years ago the lowly hot dog has inaugurated EVERY cooking machine I have ever purchased. If a grill/smoker will do a dog justice it will likely work on anything.

Comment

Been doing these lately with Sam the Cooking Guy's homemade chilli recipe. Unreal.

Name:	IMG_20200711_083629.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	878824

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I’d tear that up !!!

• Cheef
        Cheef commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the heads up on the chili recipe.
        Thats going to be Supper tomorrow night.

Oktoberfest sausages. Been soakings in Rickards Red Ale since yesterday getting happy. Grilling them tonight.
      Also found the original Oktoberfest mustard....it’s killer
      Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        That hits my sweet spot on a lot of levels !!

• KenC52
        KenC52 commented
        Editing a comment
        Where did you find the mustard? I'm almost a mustard (and hot sauce) collector. Favorite is probably Mallie, but I order a lot from Rates Mustard Mill on line. Last of the small batch stone Mill mustard companies. What does it taste like?

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        KenC52 My son stumbled on it shopping in Brantford, On.
        Its a seasonal mustard Schneider's puts out for Oktoberfest up here in Canada.
        Don't know/think it makes it into the US maybe some northern great lakes states.
        Its a sweet with the mustard taste, has a thick consistency to stick to those Okies.
        I may be heading to Dallas in Sept, if I do will try to remember to mail you a jar.

I did some Cheddybrats yesterday...Used a Polish Sausage recipe..and added sharp cheddar, and a fair dollop of Old Bay Hot Sauce...
      Attached Files

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Dynamite....

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Is it a challenge to keep the cheddar from melting? Or just go about it the same as you would with the fat back and keeping smoke temps down so you don’t melt the fat?

This is great! I haven’t explored making sausage with cheese yet.....may need to try that!

• SonOfAButcher
        SonOfAButcher commented
        Editing a comment
        I smoked them at around 225..They did have a bit of cheese loss, but not much. If you don't stuff overly tight, that helps too..don't get too much bursting...

Great idea for a thread, I'll start taking pics.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed

Great thread!

​​​​​​​

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        I very much enjoyed yer vidya, Brother! Many Thanks fer sharin with us!

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        You are welcome Mr. Bones

Doing polish dogs tonight, but here's a couple of oldies but goodies.

My version of the Chicago dog

Name:	hot dogs.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	878971

And my riff on Jhirshon Colombian hot dogs (I call them Escobar dogs because there's an explosion of flavor!)

Name:	Escobar.5.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	878972

Comment

Oktoberfest sauce after a 24 hour swim in red ale on the grill to start and then gave them some colour and the skin some snap
        With or without a bun, got the Okie mustard, wifey made potato salad
        Time to enjoy
        Attached Files

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yea. That’s a winner.

• SonOfAButcher
          SonOfAButcher commented
          Editing a comment
          While stationed in Germany, I attended 2 Octoberfests..I am fairly certain I ate Brats like those..Wish I could remember more about it...:-)

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice!! Been to many October fests, love that German mustard 👌

Alright - posting this from earlier in the year but want to help give this thread some momentum as well!

homemade jalapeno beef sausage! Just out of the smoker!

Name:	CCCCF623-1BFE-4C39-B1A1-5C05629C0CB6.jpeg
Views:	453
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	879074

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman this is as Texas as Texas beef sausage gets you would dig this stuff! My buddy and I both like Rudy’s jalapeño sausage so this is a knock off of that.
          Last edited by barelfly; July 11, 2020, 04:21 PM.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are gorgeous
          Great job

• Jpe616
          Jpe616 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow....those are beautiful.

No pix sad to say but Porter Road, in my last order, gave me some free beer brats. I just boiled them in a bottle of Shiner Bock Beer, fried up some onions and peppers and had me a great rainy day meal in minutes. They have some good sausages to offer.

Keep them coming, I love me some sausages and franks !!!

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Onions on a beer brat! Just missing a little kraut! This thread has me rethinking dinner tonight and I got some good stuff coming for dinner!

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          @ barefly That's the one thing I was missing was the kraut tonight.
          In this case I wanted the taste of the meat to stand out by itself.

Name:	EB186B4F-0C6F-4152-9EBF-66CB92CA8E24.jpeg
Views:	425
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	879092Click image for larger version

Name:	95D33CD4-C8C2-49A1-A5B9-76425C6709EE.jpeg
Views:	414
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	879091Click image for larger version

Name:	FEA96EB4-6C9D-4F44-AA5B-4EC6B5379597.jpeg
Views:	453
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	879090 Well with all this talk about meat in a tube, I ran out to my local butcher and picked up some house made beer brats. Grilled them up on the Weber. Cooked indirect to 150 IT the seared right over the coals to finish. Tossed in a small chuck of hickory for smoke flavor. Was going to use the Vortex wide side up as recommended above, but found I had a half load of coals in the SnS. So fired those up. Worked great. Served down and dirty with some Bush’s baked beans. Time to eat. 😋

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Now we're talking

And a big pot of homemade chili...

Name:	IMG_1505.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	879100

Comment

• Mojo0209
          Mojo0209 commented
          Editing a comment
          Love that grill.

There's

Name:	IMG_4339.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	879140

Just

Name:	IMG_4459.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	879142

Something about these

Name:	58683874374__3D8C65C1-1D81-4461-89F8-B3F1EF800A40.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	879141

(And no, they don't ship)

Comment

• Rod
          Rod commented
          Editing a comment
          mnavarre I bet those are amazing! Never heard of that kind of hot dog. Is it just beef?

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          Rod Yep. Just uncased beef dogs with the spices from one of their carne asada marinades, and then they're spiral cut and there's more marinade in the bag. Fantastic.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Carne Asada anything but hot dogs? And you tease us with the "don't ship" stuff? Thanks

Just some dogs
        Attached Files

Comment

• SonOfAButcher
          SonOfAButcher commented
          Editing a comment
          Things of beauty...I would pop them like tic-tacs...:-)

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here