Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First run at sausage with the new Kitchenaid meat grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the sausage ground and seasoned. I’m having trouble with the kitchenaide stuffing the casing. Do I remove the blade when stuffing? I can’t hardly get the sausage to come out into the casing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe someone will comment - I only made bulk sausage, so have not tired the stuffing attachment yet. I will say that without the blade, there would be nothing there to push the sausage through the grinder. Maybe you need to go to a courser plate?

Thanks Jim. Yeah, I think it needs the blade. We are using the largest plate but we only have 2. The grinder is old (it’s metal of some kind) and we are using a makeshift plunger.

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      The stuffer attachment doesn't use the blade or a die plate. There should be either a plastic doohickey that goes between the notches in the grinder body and holds the drive screw in place or the newer models have a plate with three big holes in it that does the same thing. So for stuffing you just have the feed screw, the doohickey or the other doohickey, the stuffing horn, and then the ring that holds the whole mess together.

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
    So, the Kitchenaid grinder I ordered for $59 on sale with a discount coupon a while back, along with some other folks, arrived while we were at the hospital, and sat in the box until last night. On a whim last night, as Yvonne dozed in her recliner, I got an 8 pound butt out of the refrigerator (had not frozen it yet, and had a use or freeze by date of 6/30/2020 on it), cut it into 1" chunks (time consuming with the bone in there), and followed the recipe for breakfast sausage on the free side.

Why buy pre-made breakfast sausage when you can make your own more flavorful version at home? Breakfast sausage is an American invention, we think, and its distinctive character comes from a touch of maple syrup. Our homemade breakfast sausage recipe amp up any breakfast and is wonderful as either links or as patties.

Unfortunately, only while in the middle of this did I realize we had no sage, and a Google search said to sub rosemary, thyme, etc. So I did half rosemary and half thyme, both of which were probably already in the MMD that was in the recipe. I ended up filling my bowl almost up with this homemade sausage mix.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2152.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	870732

Regardless, a couple of observations.

First, I think you NEED the sage. Rosemary and thyme were not a good sub. It's edible, and has a nice flavor, but not the flavor I would expect.

The second observation is that this is very lean sausage, even with all the fat cap and such on the butt mixed in. I think I need a slab of much fatter meat, like pork belly, to mix in. Observations of the skillet below show that little fat rendered out, and I cooked it to 165-175. I just thought I would have a decent fat to lean ratio with a bone in pork butt from Sam's Club, but apparently it needs more. The 75/25 ratio called for in the recipe, and I just went with carving up the butt with a boning knife willy nilly.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2153.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.12 MB ID:	870733Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2154.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.63 MB ID:	870734

Sorry - didn't think to take any pics after flipping the sausage over, as I was busy feeding eggs, sausage and buttered toast from homemade bread to myself and Yvonne!

I don't see eating 5-6 pounds of this very quickly, so plan to make patties and freeze on parchment paper on a cookie sheet, then vacuum seal and into the freezer in 1 pound portions. I will probably end up giving at least half away to the kids as they come to visit.

Jim
    Is this one of those attachements that goes on a blender ? Or standalone ? Just wondering, thanks!

I had my eye on one, as I was given a vintage kitchenaid blender, this one is supposed to be good per one reviewer:

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like its an attachment for a KitchenAid mixer.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a Kitchenaid mixer attachment. I assume you mean you have a stand mixer, NOT a blender. A blender has a glass pitcher with blades in the bottom, the attachment you link to is for a stand mixer.

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes you are absolutely right, I meant Mixer, not blender, duhhhhhh !!!!

This is the one that goes on the stand mixer. I searched kitchenaid doohickey and found a site selling a set of 6 plates and a cutter. We froze the meat tonight and will try again when the parts get here. My wife order the "pusher" since that was missing also.

Comment

Is there a consensus that beef fat (suet?) from brisket can be used to up the ratio of fat in pork sausage? I HAVE to make my own pork sausage for coddle - I just can't find a good plain pork sausage in Missoura. And, I always save beef brisket fat to make tallow.

Smoked Sausage Coddle Rules!
      Last edited by JGo37; August 13, 2020, 09:33 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't see why not - might give the sausage a different flavor, mixing in the beef fat, but I do see sausages that are a mix of beef and pork.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here