Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice on an ‘experimental’ sausage technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice on an ‘experimental’ sausage technique

I happened upon a YouTube channel this morning where a BBQ guy was cooking breakfast on a livestream and chatting with viewers.

One of the things he cooked up were some "pre-cooked sausage strips" that were about the size of wide bacon strips. Really, he just had to heat them up. I’ve never seen these before.

That got the wheels spinning in my head. I like to make sausage, and I have a jerky gun for ground meat jerky.

My idea is to 3D print a new nozzle for the jerky gun using food safe PETG plastic. I would then extrude the strips, pre cook them in the oven on trays, and freeze. They would be great for breakfasts out at the trailer.

The question is, how big should they be extruded, what temp in the oven? Fully cooked or mostly cooked?

My thoughts were to extrude them 3/8” thick, 2” wide. Then cook at 300F or so until done, but try to avoid browning.

I need some advice from the experts around here, and would be interested in any ideas.

Hmmmm.....Probably best to fully cook to 155-160. Most products that are heat treated not fully cooked are done so just to set a batter, all other heat-treated are fully cooked, both being not shelf stable aka must be refrigerated (for the most part on the fully cooked) I'd go low on temperature if you're trying not to introduce too much browning.

I'm always buying sausage at the store that's fully cooked and I just grill them before consumption.

​​

Comment

• andy.wpg
      andy.wpg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! As far as the browning goes, I thought it would be best to brown just before serving.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      andy.wpg Exactly!

Fully cook them low n slow like Jerod said above with some smoke. Plenty of fat to still brown and be tasty. Freeze quickly or blast chill after party ting dry.

Comment

The Johnsonville Sausage Strips, which are probably what the YouTube guy was cooking look like they're cooked in a loaf and then sliced like bacon.

Comment

When I am doing my bacon I take it to 155. So that is a good temp for you and your sausage. I would also go for 1/4" not 3/8", better smoke and quicker cooking in the morning.

Comment

Great idea! Has me thinking on some other stuff...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here