Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midnight Brilliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midnight Brilliance

My darling wife suggested that I should make my own sausage after I mentioned that we had to buy nice sausages because I could not make them. So I got right on that.

I was thinking something fairly easy to start but would either of these be good choices?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S7W5FYT/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XDJ5BDS/

Now I need to go and find a good recipe for some spicy sausages...

Either of those are great to start with, the KitchenAid grinder works great. Using it as a sausage stuffer is where things start to get dicey. It's hard to feed it evenly enough to get the casing stuffed consistently, and since it's so high off the counter it can be hard to handle the sausage as you're stuffing. But if you have someone feeding in the farce and can raise your landing area up so it's not a foot below the end of the tube, it's doable for small batches.

As far as a good, easy starter sausage, it's hard to beat Mexican chorizo.

Comment

Red Pepper flakes bring good heat. The ex loved the high temp cheeses like Pepper Jack. Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages helped me plenty.

Comment

I've got the Kitchen Aid one and it works well enough. Depending on the meat you use, and how much, you may need to occasionally pull the plate for cleaning, as it does tend to grab the "sticky stuff" on it's way through. I don't consider that a bad thing, as I use pork shoulder, so the longer bits will not make it to your meat. The tubes work, just add a bit of oil so the casing slides easily. It's also a good way to get your kids interested in food making if you have them at home still. My oldest son still has fond memories of him and I going through 25 pounds of meat making different types of sausage. Just remember, it's not a dedicated grinder, and your motor will get a bit warm to the touch if you over use. For the price, I'd get another one if this one ever breaks.

Comment

It is a great way to start into sausage making. If you get into it them you can decide how you want upgrade your equipment. There are so many good sausage recipes out there, and here is one https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes

Comment

Nothing better than homemade sausage. Make sure to share your results with us!

Comment

I don't make sausage but I remember reading the you should chill the meat in the freezer for awhile to help it go through the grinder.

Comment

Awesome. I ordered the Antree version, so it will be here Sunday. Now to read up on sausage making, which will include red pepper flakes for sure. Thanks you for the meatsandsausage link Donw .

Comment

Adding some other links:

Step 4 in home sausage making: Stuffing the casings with your meat mixture.

The best guide on how to make sausage you will ever find! Start with the basics of meat prep and build up to a few classic sausage recipes. You can do this!

A collection of proven recipes for making sausage. Recipes and formulations are in both U.S. and Metric measurements with instruction on grinding, mixing, stuffing, coorking or curing sausages

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here