Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedex Fails Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fedex Fails Again

So last week I got a shipment of some sausage from Blacks in Texas. The dry ice was gone and the product temp'd at over 60 degrees. I contacted Blacks and they reshipped on Monday, with additional dry ice and a scheduled delivery of yesterday. Well yesterday came and went, and the shipment just showed up. Warm again, temps in the mid 50s. I called Black's and talked with Chad, and he said they were having lots of problems with Fedex. I told him that since they were still cool to the touch we would try them and if they were OK we would keep them. He said it is up to us; he is talking to Fedex and they are reimbursing him for orders that don't meet the 2 day delivery requirement. The thing is, the box sat got to Nashville, 2 hours away from me, Wednesday at 3:10AM and didn't get to me until 1:20PM today. With a big ass PERISHABLE sticker on it. We are going to dump them and reorder and see how it goes this time. I don't want to hold it against Black's, but if this next shipment fails, I am just going to ask for a refund. Maybe try again when this Covid thing calms down, or better yet, make a run to see texastweeter and Troutman and just get some in person.

It's really one of the main reasons I quit ordering on line. On time delivers, food temp issue (especially in summer months) as well as just not knowing what your getting made that decision a no brainer. Not to pick on anyone but Crowd Cow screwed up delivers to me like 3 times. Sure you can blame Fedex (which clearly is the culprit in your case) but the packaging CC had was piss poor. The guys at Porter Road, at the other end of the spectrum, practically ship in a mini-fridge for crying out loud. I still have one of their Styrofoam coolers in the back of my truck that I throw cold products into when I go to the grocery store. They need to spend the money to assure proper product care taking into account slow deliveries.

Sorry to hear about you trials none-the-less. I'm sure when you finally get them, all that will be replaced by good old fashion Hill Country goodness !!

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree on Porter Road. And Creekstone came through with some of the best spares I have ever seen, but others have had problems with them. Chad at Black's was even madder than me; that's what I call customer service.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I have 3 of those styrofoam coolers left. Use them when sending food home with our Maid. I try not to order much, just when a wild hair gets up my...you get the picture.

We got room!

Comment

If I wanted to ship four half slabs of vacuum sealed frozen BBs to friends up north what would be the best way to package them?

Comment

• IowaGirl
        IowaGirl commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, don't count on ice packs or "blue" ice. Dry ice is the only way to go, and that counts for double in summer weather.

You might ask your vet if they have styrofoam lined shipping boxes. Our vet gets orders of vaccines and other temperature sensitive products in these specialty boxes.They keep some but discard/recycle most of them, so we get them free for the asking. Most of these boxes are lined with 1" thick styrofoam, but the nicest ones are 2" thick molded foam inside the box.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Order some meat from SRF or Porter Road, then use that box to ship your ribs ;-)

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, I should have clarified what was the best shipping *container* to use. My local Publix sells dry ice, so I'm good there.

IowaGirl, that's an excellent idea to get some used shipping boxes from a vet. Thanks!

I’m on strike two now. Yesterday was a Porter Road delivery which Fedex delivered a few days late. Luckily Porter Road does such a good packaging that only the Bratwursts were over temp. Today was a Creekstone delivery that was delivered a day late by Fedex, and also way over temp, so I have to throw out a 15 lb prime strip loin. Creekstone has to take some of the blame because this was a fresh shipment and they only put in 4 small ice packs.

I know everything will work out, Porter Road already refunded the Bratwursts. I also know Creekstone will make good, but the thought of an animal being wasted like this really sticks in my craw.
      Last edited by Donw; July 3, 2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Reminds me of my Creekstone issue just before summer. Was thinking about trying some porterhouses from SNF. Even emailed them my concerns and they claim they have no problems shipping to warmer climates, but that's what Creekstone said. I think I'm with Troutman and will wait until summer is over for any online ordering.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here