Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolled and Shmoked a Fatty yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolled and Shmoked a Fatty yesterday

I was inspired by Attjack’s post i-smoked-my-first-fatty from a year ago, and decided to take a shot at this one. I went with an Italian theme, rather than his kraut and brats style. I made up some store bought ground pork with an Italian sausage spice recipe I use for patties. I used store bought sweet Italian sausage links in the middle, surrounded by sautéed peppers, onions, mushrooms and fresh basil leaves. This was layered on top of mozzarella, enclosed in the ground sausage mix and wrapped with the bacon weave. I put it on the PBC with a probe inserted into one the internal sausage links and let the PBC work its voodoo magic.
    It took about 1:30 to reach the 150 mark. I decided to crank the heat to try to crisp the bacon a bit, so I pulled the rebars and cracked the top. I let it climb to 165 and then pulled it. I sliced about half of it up, and it smelled amazing. As for the taste, I was thinking that the sausage mix I made was so flavorful, it completely overshadowed the other layers. I could barely even taste the bacon. And the store bought sausage in the center was underwhelming to say the least. Then it occurred to me that at the same time I was thinking this, I had already plowed through two hearty slices and was well into a third!
    I have a brand new grinder/stuffer and 11 lbs. of boneless pork butt thawing in the fridge for my first attempt at stuffing sausage. That adventure will go in another post, but I’m looking forward to trying this again with my home ground pork and self-made sausage. I also want to take a shot at bacon, but I don’t think I would be able to slice it thin enough to weave and wrap for something like this. Anybody done that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	335.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	846639

Name:	336.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	846649

Name:	337.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	846642

Name:	340.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	846641
    Note the introduction of Jamesons Black Barrel to the process at this point...

Name:	342.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	846640Click image for larger version

Name:	343.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	846645Click image for larger version

Name:	344.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	846646Click image for larger version

Name:	346.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	846644Click image for larger version

Name:	348.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	846647Click image for larger version

Name:	350.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	846648Click image for larger version

Name:	351.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	846643Click image for larger version

Name:	353.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	846650

Sure looks good.

Comment

Nice writeup, what an adventure!
      Lookin forward to yer sausage makin, brother!

Comment

Sounds/looks great! I’ve been wanting to smoke a fatty for a while, just haven’t gotten around to it. This is exactly the kind of flavor profile I’d go for.

Comment

Looks pretty awesome to me, brother! I’m fairly novice to the sausage stuffing world myself, but must say that I FAR prefer it! I’m sure once I get good, it will be amazing! Lol. I have also had passable success making bacon. That said, I have the same problem. There is no way I have the skill to cut the slab uniformly enough or thin enough to make a fatty. A slicer may be in my future........... lol. Best of luck! I’m looking forward to Your Results!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            ICU Reaper 13 - Be Safe Be Well, Brother!

Man that looks good!!

Comment

Well done. The fatty looks amazing.

Comment

Ooohhh yeaaaaa !!!!!!

Comment

Looks great! Be sure to post your sausage making when it happens.

Comment

Just...wow! Thanks for sharing this.

Comment

Great writeup and cook. Been a long while since I’ve done one myself, very inspirational

Comment

Great job and write up. I’ve never done a fatty before, probably because no one in my house would eat it....their loss. Always wanted to try making one, so I guess I’ll put it on my BBQ bucket list.

Comment

Perfect execution. Looks great. I like the sausage in the middle - need to try that. Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here