Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Best Braunschweiger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bakalars is one of my favorite. Going to have to pick some up and some mustard

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Don’t forget the onions. 😁

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      A nice spicy brown I hope

• SullysSassySauce
      SullysSassySauce commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes the onions and mustard between to pieces of marble rye. My uncle Jon loved ketchup on it. Not so much me.

We had some Nueske's tonight, and hubby Chuck and I discussed the differences between it and Fricke's, our favorite.

I have some Bakalar's in the fridge too, but in an unopened package. I was tempted to open that package too so we could compare Bakalar's head-to-head to the Nueske's, but I restrained myself. We won't get two packages eaten before some of it goes bad.

Compared to Fricke's, the Nueske's is milder in flavor. It's not blah and bland, just mild. I had used a strong-flavored mustard to make our sandwiches and the Nueske's flavor kind of disappeared. Next time, I'll use something milder like a Dijon. Fricke's can hold its own with a bold mustard. My memory of Bakalar's is it's somewhere between the other two for flavor, but maybe slightly on the bolder side.

Fricke's is smoother in texture. Nueske's is slightly coarser, as is Bakalar's.

Unlike the big-name brands, Fricke's, Bakalar's, and Nueske's have a clean mouthfeel when you chew a bite. They don't feel greasy or pasty in the mouth.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your review. I gotta see if any of these are available near me.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm going to have to keep an eye out for Fricke's and Bakalar's. Ive been getting Old Wisconsin brand around here, which is ok, but not great.

I love the stuff. The best I have found recently is at Aldi and the price is very good. Friends from Germany where I had some awesome braunschweiger liked the sausage I bought from Aldi better than theirs.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Was it an Aldi brand? If not do you remember what brand it is?

In South Carolina, most grocery stores sell Oscar Mayer brand. Boar's Head is sold in Publix Grocery and occasionally can find John Morell. Ole Timey Meat Market (a local butcher) sells some that is really good
    The OmegaDog

Comment

• SullysSassySauce
      SullysSassySauce commented
      Editing a comment
      Oscar Mayer produces a decent product. Don’t count that out.

Koegels from Flint MI. Is my favorite.

Comment

Steve B It is Aldi brand "Deutsche Küche Braunschweiger". I just finished my tube so I don’t have the wrapper. I also find if you slice what you want and let it warm a bit )other than straight out of the refrigerator) it tastes a lot better. When it is cold it is almost like you can feel the fats. Just a few minutes after slicing is fine. I hope you enjoy it.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info Dave.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here