Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Best Braunschweiger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the Best Braunschweiger?

Simple question
    . I've always been partial to Nueske's. What else is out there?

I’ve always gone with Usinger’s. And come to think of it, it’s been a long time since I’ve had some. Added to my grocery list.

Comment

For me it was the kind my Mom bought and that I enjoyed as a kid back in the '60's. Unfortunately she's long gone and I can't remember what she used to buy.

Comment

I can’t remember what my Ma used to buy either, come to think of it, I don’t know if I even knew what she used to buy, I just ate it, and ate it. See, I was given it fer lunch one day & enjoyed it & said so. That was a big mistake, cuz it seems I got it fr lunch fer years afterwords. Now that I don’t have to eat it everyday I’ve once again takin a likin to it. Can’t remember what brand I’ve eaten lately either. 🕶

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Lmao!!

When ya’all figure it out let me know. Sophia loves that stuff and this doghouse is getting smaller and smaller. May have to contract HawkerXP

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Come on HH. I got room and another fishin rod.

Braunschweiger? Pah, that stuff's the wurst.

(sorry, I'll see myself out)

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Lmao!

Remember it from my New Jersey childhood. It was a deli staple but haven't had it in years. I'd love some right about now in this quarantine time.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Where in Jersey were you from?

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. Dumont, NJ.
          Don’t forget Liverwurst.

• painter
          painter commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm Hawker's next door neighbor from Bergenfield. And yes, don't forget the liverwurst!

Great post Murdy Coming from a German background I had the pleasure of having some really good authentic braunschweiger.
        I haven’t found anything good in years.
        Will follow this post to see what’s out there these days.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too, re: German background, on one side, in my case, Scotch Irish on th other.
          Also will be watchin this closely, same same reason, Brother!

Limited choice around here. I usually settle for John Morell brand. Gotta get into a hill country German market.

Comment

Wow! Great post. I haven't had any for 45 years I'd guess. My Mom used to buy it like some have mentioned already. We probably had Hormel brand?

Comment

My local grocery sells: Scott Peterson, Usingers, and sometimes Kretchmars,which is by far the best..and priced accordingly.

Comment

I don’t know what brand my Oma gets from the commissary when she gets it. Like many of you, when I go see her, she always has different German style meats in the fridge and offers me a sandwich.

One brand that has decent German style deli meats I have found is Dietz and Watson. Albertsons use to carry this brand, I’d mainly by the German style sausages but occasionally deli meat.

We use to have a German deli in the city called Alpine Sausage House, I’d go by there occasionally for stuff, and man was it good!

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Whoa. I don’t think I know anyone other than us, my family, refer to their grandma as Oma.
                Nice. 👍

My cat prefers Jones Dairy farm

Comment

Hubby (and the dogs) doesn't mind the Morrell or other national brands, but I refuse to eat that nasty stuff. Fatty with no flavor.

My favorites are Fricke's (Washington, Missouri), and Bakalar's (La Crosse, Wisconsin) braunschweiger. We have some Nueske's in the fridge at the moment to try.

Comment

• DaveP
                  DaveP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was checking on the internet and found this for Aldi. I know they protect their sources very tightly so I don’t know how true this is. It is from a website I have not heard of before so reliability is questionable.

"Deutsche Kuche" (translator: "German cuisine") is the brand name they cooked up for some of their lunch meats and sausages. Their braunschweiger (liverwurst) is made for them by Washington, Missouri based Frick Meats.”

I

We used to call it liver sausage. Only one I’ve had as an adult is Boars Head. That’s all I got

Comment

• GBA
                  GBA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Liver sausage ( liverwurst)is not smoked,Braunschweiger is liverwurst that's smoked

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I stand corrected !!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here