Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Best Braunschweiger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IowaGirl
    replied
    We had some Nueske's tonight, and hubby Chuck and I discussed the differences between it and Fricke's, our favorite.

I have some Bakalar's in the fridge too, but in an unopened package. I was tempted to open that package too so we could compare Bakalar's head-to-head to the Nueske's, but I restrained myself. We won't get two packages eaten before some of it goes bad.

Compared to Fricke's, the Nueske's is milder in flavor. It's not blah and bland, just mild. I had used a strong-flavored mustard to make our sandwiches and the Nueske's flavor kind of disappeared. Next time, I'll use something milder like a Dijon. Fricke's can hold its own with a bold mustard. My memory of Bakalar's is it's somewhere between the other two for flavor, but maybe slightly on the bolder side.

Fricke's is smoother in texture. Nueske's is slightly coarser, as is Bakalar's.

Unlike the big-name brands, Fricke's, Bakalar's, and Nueske's have a clean mouthfeel when you chew a bite. They don't feel greasy or pasty in the mouth.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Lmao!

• SullysSassySauce
    replied
    Bakalars is one of my favorite. Going to have to pick some up and some mustard

Leave a comment:

• GBA
    commented on 's reply
    Liver sausage ( liverwurst)is not smoked,Braunschweiger is liverwurst that's smoked

• Troutman
    replied
    We used to call it liver sausage. Only one I’ve had as an adult is Boars Head. That’s all I got

Leave a comment:

• IowaGirl
    replied
    Hubby (and the dogs) doesn't mind the Morrell or other national brands, but I refuse to eat that nasty stuff. Fatty with no flavor.

My favorites are Fricke's (Washington, Missouri), and Bakalar's (La Crosse, Wisconsin) braunschweiger. We have some Nueske's in the fridge at the moment to try.

Leave a comment:

• painter
    commented on 's reply
    I'm Hawker's next door neighbor from Bergenfield. And yes, don't forget the liverwurst!

• GBA
    replied
    My cat prefers Jones Dairy farm

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Same here. Dumont, NJ.
    Don’t forget Liverwurst.

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Come on HH. I got room and another fishin rod.

• barelfly
    replied
    I don’t know what brand my Oma gets from the commissary when she gets it. Like many of you, when I go see her, she always has different German style meats in the fridge and offers me a sandwich.

One brand that has decent German style deli meats I have found is Dietz and Watson. Albertsons use to carry this brand, I’d mainly by the German style sausages but occasionally deli meat.

We use to have a German deli in the city called Alpine Sausage House, I’d go by there occasionally for stuff, and man was it good!

Leave a comment:

• troymeister
    replied
    My local grocery sells: Scott Peterson, Usingers, and sometimes Kretchmars,which is by far the best..and priced accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    Wow! Great post. I haven't had any for 45 years I'd guess. My Mom used to buy it like some have mentioned already. We probably had Hormel brand?

Leave a comment:

• Texas Larry
    replied
    Limited choice around here. I usually settle for John Morell brand. Gotta get into a hill country German market.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Me too, re: German background, on one side, in my case, Scotch Irish on th other.
    Also will be watchin this closely, same same reason, Brother!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here