Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a Good Meat Grinder That Is Not Too Expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a Good Meat Grinder That Is Not Too Expensive

I hate the Kitchen Aid meat grinder attachment. It just doesn't have the muscle to push silverskin and connective tissue through the plates (yes, I try to remove it, but when it comes to grinding pork butt there is no escaping it). Does anyone have a recommendation? I'll even switch to hand crank if it works better.

I use the Kitchen Aid with no problems, but I don't grind a lot of meat. But you know your peeps will be along any minute with grinders I have never even heard of, and I will start thinking I need one of them just cause that's what these people to to others lol.

Comment

What's expensive? And it depends on how much you'll be using it. LEM and Weston are both good brands that you can't go wrong with. This is the one I use, it isn't cheap, but I can grind a whole hog without it batting an eye and putting out as fast as I can put in.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        See what I mean? Now I want that.

ComfortablyNumb YIKES! That's a beauty. But I don't make that much sausage to justify it, and I'd like to find one that I can recomment to readers who, like me, only occasionally make sausage. Is there anything of consequence for under $150? The Kitchen Aid is about $80, and I hate it with a passion. I wonder if a hand grinder will be better thinking I might be able to apply more torque than the KA motor.

Comment

I use this model LEM. It does the trick, I think it's about $170....

Comment

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        I like that it is all metal

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Meathead I'll second this one from Steve. I've got it and it's a good "upper end" household use. Can move a lot more product than typical homer would do, but for the price it's a good value. Get the foot pedal to aid sausage making, helps with control.

Meathead I have this, it’s good and has a .5hp. motor. And it’s on sale at your price point!

Comment

Just curious Meathead but which KA are you using?
        I have a 7-qt Pro Line which has a 1.3 HP DC motor. It goes through everything I've tossed at it. It's essentially the same as their commercial line with a different cord and without the NSF certification.
        Last edited by surfdog; February 5, 2020, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          About 10+ years old? Labeled "Special Edition" Model KSM5SEWH Head lifts with a crank, doesn't flip back.

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Meathead A quick search and that one appears to be 325 watt. By comparison, the one I have has a 1.3 hp DC motor in it...which would convert to about 970 watts...but it probably delivers around 581 watt to the bowl. Their other models seem to range from 325 up to 575.
          The popular Artisan is 325, the Professional HD is 525, and the Professional 600 is 575. How much of that power is actually transferred to the bowl I couldn't say.

But I could see lower power ones choking on silver skin etc.

3 or 4 years ago, my daughter bought a refurbished LEM #8 grinder probably an older model version of this:

She paid something like $60.

It does not get heavy use, but it is totally acceptable for our use. Two weekends ago we made sausage, we ground 2 butts through a 1/4" plate without any trimming of silver skin, then, for binder, about a half a picnic twice through a 1/8" plate, again without trimming. Meat was nearly frozen, and ground cleanly without problem.

The knife that came with it was not particularly effective, so I upgraded to this: https://www.lemproducts.com/product/...grinder-plates

The knife is well worth the additional $20.

Comment

I have the Smoke House Chef attachment for my KA 5-Qt Pro. All of the pieces are dishwasher safe (SS). I use it almost weekly to grind pork or beef. My only complaint is it sits pretty high on the counter which could be a problem for some.

Comment

I don't know what you consider expensive but if you want something cheaper for small batches go with a vintage hand cranked grinder. I never made sausage before, never really planned to, but I wanted to custom make ground beef blends for hamburgers. I've had bad experiences with new stuff so I went vintage (just like my 1950s kitchen) and I made a low-ball offer on ebay for an old but big motorized grinder and I've made over 100 lbs sausage and processed 4 deer since November. I actually haven't done the hamburger meat yet, having too much fun with sausage making. I wrote about it here:

NOTE: new pics and videos added in the comments below: #10, 15, 21, & 22. I just received this last week and it is a beast. It is a 1/3 hp 110 volt Hobart model 4312 from the 1940s/1950s. The seller said it was used in his grandparent's grocery store in Sioux Falls, SD then was passed down through the family. It weighs 100

Comment

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              She's a beauty!

I traded up to the all metal KA meat grinder attachment and it makes quick work out of whatever I've thrown at it, bigger chunks, silverskin, gristle, handles it all with out bogging down the motor. I won't buy a new grinder, but the sausage stuffer component of it kind of sucks (basically takes 2 people unless you're fortunate enough to have a 3rd arm) so I might trade up to a stand alone stuffer. https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KS...SIN=B07GK7XKJK
            Last edited by CaptainMike; February 5, 2020, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I know this doesn’t answer your question but perhaps it’s time to invest in a new KitchenAid.

I use the KitchenAid meat grinder with the regular classic model mixer and I absolutely love my KitchenAid. I don’t make a ton but I do grind a lot of meat and grind my /piork for sausage.

in the interim the single best thing you can do to help your KitchenAid is do half inch by half inch strips as long as you can make them. By just dropping them in there and letting it catch you’ll never need the pusher which just creates a vacuum. I don’t even freeze mine if you’re grinding properly you don’t need your stuff in the refrigerator or freezer. I am uncertain of the model you are using other than it sounds like it’s old.

In fact I prefer the plastic parts because they don’t heat up. I love my KitchenAid grinder. Admittedly it is not for thousands of pounds of meat. Hope this helps a little bit in the interim but that cut on your prepped meat is really the trick and it doesn’t need to be frozen

Comment

I dont do a lot of grinding. 20 years ago, different story. 😁 I have the plastic attachment for the KA. I do freeze the meat and cutting tools. For ground beef mainly chuck, 2 cycles at course and then fine with freeze at each stage. It solved the fall apart when making patties. I've done bacon, pork and brisket. Again not large volume. I know some of you do pounds at a time so a more powerful unit is needed.

I know this adds no value to Meathead ask.

Comment

This would be a great topic for next review. Meat grinders for under 200. I have been wanting one for around that price range.

Comment

I watched LEM's site and picked up a big bite #8 refurbished for about $180. Probably more than I'll ever need. They've got a couple of the lower cost models refurbished for sale right now.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here