Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first run at sausages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first run at sausages

We just ground and stuffed our first sausages and I'm about to smoke them. Props to my girlfriend who bought me a book about sausages and cured meats and who bought me hog casings for our anniversary. Here's a peak at them now. I have the smoker coming up to temp as I write this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191012_171542.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	755094

What kind of sausage is it??

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I used a pork shoulder and some beef fat. I stuck with the most basic recipe so it's seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic.
      Last edited by Attjack; October 12, 2019, 07:32 PM.

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Keep it simple and add stuff later.. looking forward to some taste test results.

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like some great garlic sausage. The local grocery store makes a jalapeño/cheddar garlic sausage that is the bomb!

Looks great. I have not ventured there but have always wanted to. Someday. I am looking forward to your own review of your work and photos of the finished product.

Comment

Very cool, indeed, Brother...

I'm several steps behind, but on that trail...

Grindin, but not tryin to stuff, jus yet...

Workin on establishin blends worth goin to all th trouble, to be honest...

Comment

Name:	20191012_181352.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	755127

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Sehr Kühl...

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones it's not a very good circle

Very nice. And that sounds like the perfect anniversary present!
        I just made some spicy pork breakfast sausage today because the chili recipe I plan to make calls for it. I fried up a little patty of it as a taste test, and it was really good. I used seasoning from this place which I would definitely try for other seasonings as well. https://aclegg.com/products/sausage-seasonings/ Their seasonings seem to run about $1.25 to season 5 lbs, which seems reasonable to me. I got mine on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/C-Legg-Pork-S...grocery&sr=1-8

Comment

Attjack a girlfriend "who bought me hog casings for our anniversary" is a keeper !

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea that's a thumbs up for sure

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, that's what I was thinkin, as well... Attjack

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Heck. I haven’t even met her and I love her.
            Don’t let this one slip away. 👊👊

Yea your girl friend is a keeper. Looks like your starting out with something fairly simple like a white brat. Just keep to the recipes in your book as you start out. I have a list of over 150 recipes that I can make but I probably stick to 6-8 of them. I may occasionally make one of the others for kicks.

Comment

I see in your near future you impressing us with some outstanding sausage.
            Those bangers look like you are on track.
            Very nice Sir.

Comment

I’ve always wanted to do this! Awesome 👏. Whats the name of the book?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks to ya both, Brothers!
                Attjack Backroadmeats

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I add crushed ice to the mix.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                Backroadmeats, thanks for that tip about the commercial seasonings. I am planning on spending some time this weekend trying my hand at this. I'll pick something up that looks interesting. Attjack, great looking sausages, and even greater girlfriend!!!!

Looks good, and welcome to the wonderful world of sausage making

Comment

Nice work, been wanting to join the sausage making world myself. You inspire me to move it up the list !!

Comment

Wow, those look good -- uniform and tight. Nice job!

Comment

Attjack, I've made sausage before, and it's a lot of fun. So much you can do to make it uniquely yours. It's even great when you make "mistakes" because you get to eat those too! Looks like you're off to a great start.

Comment

I grilled up the rest if the sausages tonight and they recieved a good review from my brother in law. Now that they're already all gone I'm going to have to start planning the next (bigger) batch.

This is what they looked like after they came off the smoker.

Name:	20191012_200519.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	758499

Comment

• tbob4
                        tbob4 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Very, very nice! Great job.

• Elton's BBQ
                        Elton's BBQ commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Those sausages looks grand!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here