Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What, A Bunch of Baloney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What, A Bunch of Baloney

Do any of y'all have a good online source for quality bologna chubs? I'd like to try my hand at smoking some. Thanks.

I'm full of baloney. Or so I'm told but I don't know where I got it from.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      They say some people got it, some people don't. They tell me I'm full of it.

I buy Boars Head beef bologna. They sell a chub that is around 3 lbs. Although most people have never had it, Oklahoma Prime Ribs is terrific. I serve it as a sandwich with mustard slaw.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      What did they charge you, do you remember? They always want to charge me the sliced price.for Boar's Head at the deli.

• Sam6687
      Sam6687 commented
      Editing a comment
      same question as Troutman, if they charge me the standard deli price for the Boar's Head Bologna it would be cheaper for me to buy actual prime rib.

Around here the best and easiest bet is making nice with a local Deli... our meat locker has a lunch meat and cheese counter... or heck Walmart for that matter... they will usually sell you a hunk of it or an end or something.... if you like it after you try it I would try to find an independent deli or work with a manager or something to see if they will sell you an entire piece at wholesale price.

Comment

I bought a whole piece one time at the grocery deli, I think it was Boar's Head. Anyway they charged me the sliced price for the whole piece, couldn't talk them down. As I recall it was about a 3" cylinder about 6-7" long. Cost me a fortune. But I'll tell you what, smoked that sucker was deeeelicious. Kind of reminded me of my old mom making me fried bologna sandwiches when I was a kid.

If you find a decent source Mike, let us know.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Webstaurant has a couple of decent looking offerings, and there's quite a few more with a quick search. Hoping this thread will produce some great personal recommendations.

Just be careful when buying one, most use a synthetic plastic casing. You know, that bright red one you have to peel off.

Comment

Just googled in Boar's Head bologna and got a number of hits. Here's one, the shipping is half the price of the product though....

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Oops, posted my previous comment before seeing this.

Troutman I'm going to look at the chub when I get home. I know it was cheaper whole than sliced.
        Last edited by Bkhuna; October 2, 2019, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I know nothing about making it. But I have checked out this video by Greg of Ballistic BBQ. It has some good pointers from start to finish.

Comment

If ya can't find a whole one, get your local deli to cut you a piece 1/2" to 3/4" thick and then grill it hot 'n fast over wood or charcoal. Then make a sandwich dressed the way you want it. I humbly suggest mustard and grilled onions.
            Last edited by RonB; October 2, 2019, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Frick's bologna is the only thing I'll use for smoking. You can get a case of 1lb chubs direct from them with free shipping but even then it's still pricey that way. $89.00 for a case of 9. They're half that or less at stores local to me.

Frick's traditional bologna is fully cooked, gluten free, and comes in a 16oz chub. It's made without poultry filler for the best flavor and texture.

Check your local Walmart for a ring so you can try it on the cheap.

Comment

Slovaks ring bologna.

Comment

I haven't had any recently, but rag bologna from Fineberg Packing in Memphis is excellent. Whenever the family gets together in Memphis, we visit the packing house and buy as much as we can load up. It is the Chelsea brand. I called them and had a cooler full shipped to me a couple years ago, but if I remember correctly, the shipping cost was pretty high.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	rag bologna.jpeg
Views:	1337
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	751084

Comment

Dang this post is totally full of bologna !!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here