Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

141 pounds of sausage made....1st round of smoking 3/30/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

141 pounds of sausage made....1st round of smoking 3/30/15

Dad did 30 pounds of fresh and 40 pounds to be smoked. The fresh is added to gumbo and what not. Ingredients the same on both (salt, red pepper, garlic powder), with the exception of green onions added to the fresh stuff. Ratio was about 60% deer and 40% pork shoulder.

I did 11 pounds of Memphis Dust Pork Breakfast Sausage. 5 pounds deer and 6 pounds bacon ends. Made little sausages with no casings and plenty patties.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010168.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	74963 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010167.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	74964

I also did 20 pounds fresh. 10 pounds had Thyme and minced garlic. The other 10 pounds I 86'd the Thyme and used garlic powder instead of the minced. 50:50 deer and pork shoulder.

I had 20 pounds for smoking. 50:50 deer and pork shoulder.

Another 20 pounds for smoking. Same deer to pork ratio with 2 pounds of high temp pepper jack cheese added

Name:	P1010166.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	74965

Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 30, 2015, 08:15 PM.

Goodness, Jerod, that sausage weighs way more than I do!

You sure have some great flavors in it. I'm thinking your wife will go for the patties and little sausages and leave the cased ones to those who don't care about what a casing is.

Kudos for all that work. Happy eating to you and your family!

Kathryn

Comment

Well JB I outweigh your sausage but am just as impressed.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that y'all mention it, I made my weight in sausage....

Since I rarely wrap myself in hog guts, never crossed my mind

Temp control is really nice when smoking sausage. Thanks to the Pit Barrel, I saw no need for my cheap offset, other than to get converted to gas and use for sausage smoking.

When you can smell the smoke, but you can't see any, you know it is right. Just did a dry run...

Name:	P1010169.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	75187 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010170.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	75188

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd be really interested in what you did to your COS to convert to gas. I've got one that I don't use too!

Goodness gracious! No carpal tunnel issues?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        I palpate approximately 15,750 chickens per day (35 per minute), 3.8 million-ish per year. Carpal tunnel is a way of life.

Looks great Jerod. It's a lot of work, but always great to have all that product in the freezer when you're done!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post

I did 11 pounds of Memphis Dust Pork Breakfast Sausage. 5 pounds deer and 6 pounds bacon ends. Made little sausages with no casings and plenty patties.

What is Memphis Dust Breakfast Sausage?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Something I got from Meathead to check out. It is one of the sausage recipes and he and Chef Ryan have put together. They got a good list of 'em.

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Are they listed on the site? I didn't see any sausage recipes under pork.

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Not yet....

Wow. Awesome!!

Comment

Wow Jerod, I bet it was good having your Dad help you. Real bonding there.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Yeh, we learnt two things.

1. When making your own Foodsaver bags out of a roll, you have to seal BOTH sides, or else the sausage just goes right through. I did that after sealing waaaay too many bags.

2. He now knows in order to vacuum and seal, you don't press the button on my unit. I get back to the kitchen and he has a nice sealed bag, FULL OF AIR. hahaha

Pretty much filled to the gills I get exactly 15 pounds of smoke sausage. Which is nice, I only have 25 more pounds to go. This has pepper jack cheese. Used cherry chunks. Next round gets Hickory chunks.

Name:	P1010173.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	75606

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Awwww nuttin like Hickory

• Dr ROK
            Dr ROK commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm assuming you're doing this in your COS. What are you using for your hanging rack?

Wow..Way Cool!!

Comment

Awesome job! Got any pictures of the sausage rack in your smoker? Home-made rack? looks lie a LOT of work!

Comment

Originally posted by TrickyDick View Post
              Awesome job! Got any pictures of the sausage rack in your smoker? Home-made rack? looks lie a LOT of work!
              I'll have to get one tomorrow.

Comment

Better you than me Jerod - I make two pounds at a time.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm doing more pattie than casing next year.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here