Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing out sausages for my Churches Oktoberfest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing out sausages for my Churches Oktoberfest

I volunteered to be one of the test cooks for an upcoming Oktoberfest event that my Church is hosting. The sausages came from Eckerlin Meats in Cincinnati, OH. They included the following:
    1. Fresh Bratwurst (Brats) - Uncooked with no preservatives
    2. Fresh Mettwurst (Metts) - Uncooked with no preservatives
    3. Cooked Brats
    4. Cooked Metts
    5. Cooked Mild Metts
    6. Cooked Super-Hot Metts
    I smoked them on my Traeger until the fresh links hit an internal temp of 165 degrees.

I found the fresh bratwurst and mettwurst had the best overall texture and flavor. The cooked brats and metts were also quite good.

My final ranking was as follows:

1. Fresh Bratwurst
    2. Fresh Mettwurst
    3. Cooked Bratwurst
    4. Cooked Mild Mettwurst
    5. Cooked Hot Mettwurst
    6. Cooked Super Hot Mettwurst

In case you’re interested, Eckerlin Meats’ web site is https://www.eckerlinmeats.com/.

Attached Files

Look for J.M. Scheinder Oktoberfest sausages in your area.
    Schneiders is a Canadian meat packer so I don't know if they export to the US but I don't see why they wouldn't.
    IMHO they are THE Oktoberfest sausage, 100% lean pork with spices.
    Most Brats, and I'm no expert, are beef or a mixture of beef and pork or other meats.
    I have a thread on here from last spring where I cooked up a batch with the must have homemade Oktoberfest mustard.
    They gotta be soaked in beer for at least two days, I've never smoked them, usually cook them on the gasser but that's going to change this year.
    And sauerkraut lots of sauerkraut....
    And beer tons of beer....
    And Tums....big bottle....

Comment

I had a room mate while at Ohio State who always brought back sausage from Eckerlin. Good stuff!

Comment

I’m starting to do research myself. My church does a harvest festival the end of October and I cook up 300 brats, along with 300 hotdogs! In the past I always picked up Johnsonville brats from Smart & Final when they had a sale - they cheapest I’ve seen in my area. But I’m now seeking other options - hoping to find something better tasting yet still close on price.

Comment

• DesertRaider
          DesertRaider commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know if you've found an alternative or not, but if you haven't, Trader Joe's uncured brats are a lot closer to what I had in W. Germany than any other brand I've tried.

Looking at the second blue plate pic the forth sausage down most resembles the Schneider's Oktoberfest available up here the bottom sausage being second place.
        They plump up really well after the beer soak and cook.
        Even though you cooked them smoking I would still put them on the gasser for a sear to get some snap in the casings.
        If Johnsonville does make an Oktoberfest I've never stumbled across it in my travels.
        ….And I find soaking them in a red beer gives them that push over the top....
        Last edited by smokin fool; September 12, 2019, 06:50 AM.

Comment

• luvthemstillers
          luvthemstillers commented
          Editing a comment
          I had the Trager cranked to high temp, I ended up getting a fairly decent snap on the casings, I also could have kept them on a little longer for a deeper grill mark, but they were up to temperature and I was hungry and couldn't wait any longer.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here