Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOW I am ready to make over 120 pounds of deer sausage!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOW I am ready to make over 120 pounds of deer sausage!!

Last year all I had was my 1/2 horsepower grinder. Wasn't too bad. But that sausage with high temp cheese was a killer getting it down that throat.

Now I have this 24 pound beast that holds 15 pounds of ground meat.......the kiddees can crank while I grind up another batch. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010161.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	73313

Wow, what a wonderful new toy, Jerod. The kids will actually get to see sausage being made. That and watching the budget-making process in Congress are two things I've always been warned away from! Seriously, though, you've got some good eating ahead, once the sausage-making work is done. Enjoy!

Kathryn

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Politics always trumps economics.

Wife no longer wanted to eat the casings once she found out what they were. If I slice it up she can handle it.

Do you do overnight shipping? I'm IN.

That thing is SAWEEEET!

Comment

• mackdaddy
      mackdaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Ill take a pound or two. I have heard of dear bologna but not sausage, sounds delicious.

Those gear driven stuffers are badass! Mine is smaller, but is really effective. For the budding charcuterists out there, I cannot recommend the gear driven stuffers highly enough.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      When some guys found out how much I was making last year. They assured me I would be looking at this stuffer after stuffing that much meat down a grinder.

That is sweet Jerod,
    I know exactly what you mean and I only did 25 lbs and that took forever LOL!. The kids bought me a some snack sticks kits for Christmas and my first time I made the rookie mistake of mixing the meat and spices one day since I did not have time to stuff and tried stuffing the next day with a horn style stuffer. Needless to say it did not work because it was too stiff so had to use the grinder to get through it and returned the horn style stuffer.

Comment

I like it, I recommend processing in another location though...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Only stuffing in the bedroom.

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        Didn't even thing of that, too many sausage puns, head exploding.

I have a 5 lb stuffer and can't imagine making sausage without it. Care to share your deer sausage recipe Jarod?

Comment

Dr ROK This year I am going to start with the following since last year it did not have near enough heat. I'll whip up a small batch then adjust from there. 18-20lbs will be made with Pepper Jack High temp cheese, in which case I will omit the red pepper flakes

Per 2.5 pounds of meat (whatever ratio of deer : pork jives for you): Everything in grams except for the minced garlic and red pepper flakes
        Table salt- 18.18 grams
        Cure #1- 2.84 grams
        White Pepper- 2.27 grams
        Garlic- minced @ 3 teaspoons
        Cayenne- 4.54 grams
        Cold Water- 113.63 grams
        Red Pepper flakes- 1 teaspoon
        Thyme (dried)- 2.27 grams

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          What temp do you take the sausage up to when smoking?

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          155 Internal, then a cold bath to prevent shrinkage and wrinkling of casing. Then they bloom for some time to gain color. I probably take to 185 or internal when it comes time for consumption.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here