Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polish Boy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polish Boy

I used to work with a guy named Jerome, from Cleveland. He always talked about visiting back home and eating something called a Polish boy. It sounded pretty crazy, but one day years later I found myself walking into the place he was talking about in Cleveland Ohio.

It was good. Not write home good, but good. A few summers ago I put my own spin on it, and since it’s what I’m making for tomorrow I thought I would share. Sorry no photos, I’m making this tomorrow, hopefully.

Full size polish sausage, cut in half. Put a gash in the casing at least every inch to keep it from curling. Grill, smoke, or boil it the way you like.

Cook french fries.

make or acquire coleslaw, I use a 321 vinegar slaw.

Bbq sauce of choice.

Loaf of French bread, or something softer.

Cut it the bread like a hotdog bun, insert sausage, add fries, coleslaw, and bbq sauce.

Slice in to 4 inch portions.

It knocked the the socks off of everyone who’s tried it.

Interesting. I'm smoking a pork butt tonight that a lady I work with bought in a Tray Pack, and then froze that sucker. Her freezer must be -100 degrees because there was almost no purge after the defrost. It has a sizable fat cap that I'm going to score, and I already cleaned out that aggravating membrane. Most people keep their socks on for this.

Comment

• Woodson
      Woodson commented
      Editing a comment
      What you cooking on?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Unless I'm missing something, what's that got to do with a Polish boy?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Pellet grill Woodson. Just sharing current events Troutman

I'd love to see a grilled Polish boy post. Do one, with pix, actually sounds pretty awesome to me.

Comment

I had a Polish primary school friend about a hundred years ago and his mom used to male a sausage dish that might have been what you are refering to as a Polish Boy. Wasn't smoked so must have been boiled however it was done I can remember it was good. As was their cabanossi sausage.

Comment

Does actually sound pretty good. So is the polish sausage more like kielbasa or garlic sausage, or more like bratwurst?

Comment

Take your pick.
          Attached Files

Comment

I went to grad school in Cleveland and worked there for another 6 years. A polish sausage is a slightly milder kielbasa. Slightly different spices. A polish sausage was a quick meal for the dock workers and steel mill workers. It dates back many years when the large Polish population settled in Cleveland.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here