Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bratwurst recipe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bratwurst recipe???

I have been trying bratwurst and hot dogs from butchers around here. Some are a lot better than others. Picked up bratwurst from one place yesterday, that didn't taste much different than their hot dogs, and not like any brat I ever had. That set me off to wondering what makes a bratwurst taste like what I think it should, a good Wisconsin Brat. I found this recipe, it has all sorts of stuff that you usually never use. What is necessary for a good flavorful brat? Mace, Marjoram, nutmeg???? I hope it is not powdered milk!

1 ¾ lb boneless pork shoulder, cubed ¼ lb boneless beef shoulder or veal stew meat, cubed ½ c powdered milk 1 tsp salt 1 tsp nutmeg ½ tsp ground black pepper ½ tsp marjoram ¼ tsp ground mace ¼ tsp ground ginger 1 egg 1/3 c milk 4-5 feet hog casing for fresh sausage, rinsed

Last edited by Mark V; July 24, 2019, 07:16 PM.

Try Food52 bratwurst recipe Sheboygan style at Food52.com

Comment

I have 5 different bratwurst recipes from German, Austria, Poland and Wisconsin. If you will give me till tomorrow I will give you the Wisconsin one. I come from a German background and love them all. Especially with a good German mustard.

Let me know.

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        mountainsmoker I am looking for an authentic German bratwurst recipe like the ones I had at Bierfests when I was in Bavaria. Can you share your recipe? Or, better yet, post it in the sausage forum? The ones I had in Germany were thinner than the American brats that I can buy here - more like a foot long hotdog. I think (but I am not sure) that they were a finer grind than the American versions I've had.

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        It will take me a while I am pretty banged up from a fall and then my wife gets home from knee replacement surgery. But I will we glad to do it for you.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        mountainsmoker Wow, hope you two recover quickly. Thanks, no hurry.
        Last edited by 58limited; November 24, 2019, 12:39 PM.

I made these a while ago. Pretty good. They are mild. Good brat flavor. https://www.psseasoning.com/products...urst-seasoning

Comment

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        I can get soaked with beer first! What is the meaning of this meat or meat meat?:

.79 Lb. B Unit for 25 lb. meat batch
        .39 Lb. C Unit for 12.5 lb. meat meat batch

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Order "B" for 25# recipe OR Order "C" 12.5# recipe. Notice not much cost difference. No Beer Included. Lol.

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya beat me to it Skip . Excellent in casings or just patty it up .. I add some maple syrup and cheddar cheese and stuff in casings.. really good seasoning!!

This tasty recipe for making your own homemade German style bratwurst is sure to be a hit with guests at your next BBQ and grilling cookout. With a silky smooth texture and perfect snap from the casing, these classic bratwursts are perfect for the grill and put the mass produced store bought versions to shame.

I’ve enjoyed this one, usually made with ground up trimmings from briskets etc.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        That is not a Bratwurst. It may be a good sausage but it is not a Brat.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you explain why?

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Brat's do not contain mustard.

Bratwurst recipes seem to be all over the place, and I've been trying to develop one of my own that I really like. Pepper (white or black), ginger and mace/nutmeg all seem to be pretty common; but not necessarily in the same ratios. Other things like marjoram, garlic, savory and caraway are also widely used; but again not in the same ratios. My understanding is that things like milk powder and soy protein are there to help with moisture retention, but I haven't tried them yet.

Comment

I have family in Wisconsin that owns and operates a meat processing business. They provide a lot of meat for several of the professional sports teams and their venues in Wisconsin. Since they also run a distribution business, they have a very wide variety of product, but when I asked what they make and serve at home for brats, I was told that the easiest and best (in their opinion and mine) is the Badger Bratwurst Seasoning from Reichert Spice Company. It’s a pre mixed seasoning so all I need to do is grind up my own meat, add seasoning, stuff, and allow the flavors to marry. The end result is fantastic! Pretty darn close to what I had at Lambeau...............

Comment

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree there are a couple of companies that make a pretty dang good spice brat spice mix.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here