Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Brats Ever? What say you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Brats Ever? What say you?

The post by Cheef on SRF hot dogs got me thinking. Brats in the midwest are a religion, much the same way brisket is in Texas. Everyone has a favorite and putting a stick in the sand on that topic, well "Them's fightn' words". I lived in Wisconsin off and on for 10 years and had A LOT of Bratwurst. I even lived in Germany for 6 months.
    For me, hands down, the best brats ever are from Miesfields in Sheyboygan, WI. I like the originals but they make 25 varieties. You can not order online, but they will ship. Because they are not setup for it, the shipping is as much if not more than the Brats, but when I get a craving....well you get the idea.

Here is their site:

Local Meat and Sausage shops are the Best!

Comment

I make my own. I'll dig up and post the recipe I use. :-)

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        I've made them once. They were ok but I'd like to see your recipe.

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 Would love to see the recipe

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Meathead's recipe is pretty good, but I'd sure like to try yours.

I totally agree!
      When I get up that way for business or Packer games, I load up on them.

Comment

I am not a native, but I have lived in Wisconsin for 30 years. I have learned brat preference is very personal and the variety to choose from is as plentiful as bumper stickers on a Prius. I am more of a traditionalist (a good blend of pig parts and spice/herbs is all that is needed) and stay away from the flavored ones. With that said, there are hundreds of small meat shops here grinding up their unique blend of traditional brats; and, we are therefore blessed with a corresponding variety to choose from in virtually every location in the State. Lucky us, eh?

If I were to pick from one of the larger producers I would go with Usingers. IMO they make a great traditional brat.

As with all meats, perfection is gained in how you cook them. Way to many incinerators out there who plop a perfectly good brat on a red hot grill, then the casings split, the rendered fat starts a fire, brats are blackened (not in a good Cajun way), you dial 911 and FireMan swoops in to save the day.

If you use a moderate level of coals/heat and keep turning the brats to a cool grate that you then "spin" over the heat, you will have beautiful mahogany colored lovelies appreciated by all your guests. Next brat cook I do I will post pictures.

Except of course my wife (a 4th generation Madisonian no less) who prefers her brat cooked beyond recognition. Go figure.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Beer bath all the way.
          Red beer is the way I go, a good two day swim to get them good n happy.
          And Octoberfest mustard, lots of it....
          Last edited by smokin fool; July 14, 2019, 09:50 PM.

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to love Jacobson Brothers, but it's been a while.

• RustyHaines
          RustyHaines commented
          Editing a comment
          Murdy, Jacobson Brothers are still in town and still making good brats.

Our local butcher makes a dang good brat, but I like to make them at home as well.

Comment

Growing up I was called a brat, nothing good about it was implied.

Comment

Very similar to MH's receipe. I really like Johnsonville brats but they are too short, that's really why I started making my own. :-)

There's something wonderful about hands-on sausage making. Stuff 'em, grill 'em, and finish these Wisconsin bratwurst in a beer bath for a perfect cookout.

Comment

• Dick Anderson
              Dick Anderson commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the recipe, pkadare! My next batch of sausage is going to be Brats, and i like the caraway seed in that one.

• Murdy
              Murdy commented
              Editing a comment
              As large commercial operations go, Johsonville puts out some pretty respectable products. They are my go-to when I can't get them from a few of the small locals I like to patronize.

I see you are from MASS. Check out Karls Sausage Kitchen. They make great stuff!

Comment

• pjlstrat
              pjlstrat commented
              Editing a comment
              Will do thank you for the heads up

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              I lived on the north shore and there was a sausage shop on RT 1 that made the best sausages I ever tasted. Better than grandad Stiener's or great grandad's Basinger's..

It could be Karl's that has moved to Peabody. Back when I was there it was only a sausage and deli in the late 80's, early 90's.

• Old Glory
              Old Glory commented
              Editing a comment
              mountainsmoker Yes Karl's moved from Rt 1 to Peabody.

Anybody have an opinion on Costco's Kirkland brand brats? I've been cooking them for the family recently, pulling when internal temp is 160 F, and everyone likes them. I know that I used to overcook sausages, drying them out. Using the Thermapen as a guide has improved my cooking of this simple meal. Then sauerkraut, sautéed onions, and mustard! Sometime last century I spent a few months in Madison WI while doing a med-school rotation (1976). Brats grilled outdoors, and ice cream from the ag school, on campus, beer at 18 (although I was then over 21.) Great memories.

Here in Seattle, Uli's Sausage (in the Pike Place Market) makes a good beer brat; they call it the 'Men's Room Original Sausage' https://ulisfamoussausage.com/mros
            We have one at every home Sounders game.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Dr. Pepper; July 14, 2019, 12:43 PM. Reason: More detail

Comment

• pjlstrat
              pjlstrat commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry see below

• RickyBobby
              RickyBobby commented
              Editing a comment
              I used to order my brats from family in Green Bay, but if I was out and needed a fix, I would grab the Kirkland brats and don’t have any complaints. I’ve now started making my own using a seasoning blend that the family in GB uses to make theirs.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't get Kirkland any more as our membership ran out but not one thing wrong with they're Brats.

No experience with the Costco brats

but you are dead on about the student union at the University of Wisconsin .

If I had been an undergrad there I do flunked out for sure

Comment

Yup, Wisconsin is brat paradise. Every local Tom, Dick & Butchershop has their own slight twist to original. Since I moved to a smallish town, the local fare is what I’m hooked on. Used to be a Johnsonville & Uisinger’s, the little butcher shops have won me over. As far as cookin em, RustyHaines gave a beautiful description on how to. As far as boilin , well I invoke Meatheads view of boiling wibs, the terrorists win. Try bathing a brat in heat as Rusty does & you’ll never go back. Yah, I know it’s another way of cooking but so is a microwave. I think ya end up leaving somethin in the water that should either be dripped on the coals or remain in the brat itself. 🕶
              Last edited by FireMan; July 14, 2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Water? ptooii...thought we was talkin beer...???

Old Glory good to know I found there web site looks like the same sausages I used to buy. Their blood suasage was divine as was just about everything else. Looks like they ship. https://karlssausage.com/deli/meats/
              Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 14, 2019, 09:06 PM.

Comment

The Costco brats are pretty decent, especially if you do an extreme reverse sear on them. :-)

Pasteurized at a low temperature, then blasted for maybe 15 seconds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C1325804-7783-42B5-812B-DEDDA7CC762A.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	714093

Click image for larger version

Name:	5798B8A1-6CD2-4F58-B946-CCA015D08D66.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	714092

Comment

• Greygoose
                  Greygoose commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It looks like a good start to makin’ brat zahmores,,,a toasted bun,lined with some kraut,a lil grainy mustard and lay the lil rascal right in between,,,,lookin’ good

Well, I can’t say I’ve had Wisconsin brats that I know of. My parents were there last year on their bike road trip and said they were good. Not sure if I’ll ever make it to WI....

But for me, I have found a brand that I really enjoy, especially with my homemade kraut and carmelized onions. Dietz & Watson Black Forest Brats have been really good, either straight on the grill or in liquid for a bit and then on the grill.

Ive had a few others my grandmother has picked up at the commissary that were good. I do wish the Alpine Sausage Factory was still around here at home. They had wonderful meat and a good variety.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here