Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Brats Ever? What say you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is sort of interesting with everyone's listing there favorite brats. I had to go up to my Stuffer's sausage recipe book and check how many they had in it. There were 5 different ones in it. Austrian, German x 2, white, and Wisconsin. All are different with different herbs and spices and different grinds.

Comment

I really like this topic. There are many variations of Brats. Polish, German, Austrian, Wisconsin and variations within each country. I went to my Stuffer's sausage recipe print out and it had 6 recipes. Austrian, Polish, 2 German, a white and a Wisconsin. Each is different and I have made three of them.
      Keep true to your taste and enjoy what you like. I like blood sausage which some of you might abhor.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 14, 2019, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        No argument here, I love blood sausage. The brits call it black pudding and serve for breakfast. Yummy!!

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        I too like morcilla. Thankfully, there are boat loads of Puertorriqueños in the area, so it's easy to find.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        hot guts, hot links, anduille, and boudan are my sausages of choice. I like brats, but my wife abhors them, so they are a rarity in my castle.

Some of the best brats iv had are made in Elmswood Wisconsin called Sailers Meats. Otherwise my next favorite are johnsonville.

Comment

we found a small butcher near our summer haunt that makes casing-less brats that are just out of this world (my humble opinion). I hadn't even heard of that before finding these.

Comment

What is your view on Ketchup on brats?

Comment

• Greygoose
            Greygoose commented
            Editing a comment
            Blasphemy

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Reckon I don't do it often, but if it was what I was hankerin after, at that moment, then that's what I'd do...I don't spend (waste) no time, worryin if somebody else approves of it, or not, cause, when it's all said an done, it's my food, not theirs...

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            Greygoose - I feel the same way, I was just wondered if some folks like to ruin their brats like the ruin the franks.

Grew up in Wisconsin. Brossman's in Racine, Maplewood meats in Green Bay, Helds in Slinger best wieners summer sausage also..... But it is all about the prep boil in beer and caraway.... Thats it now I am starving.

Comment

• ribeyeguy
            ribeyeguy commented
            Editing a comment
            How about Helds beef jerky, ever tried that? It's out of this world.

• DiverDriver
            DiverDriver commented
            Editing a comment
            No, ribeyeguy but next time For Sure! They do a great job.

jalapeno cheddar at hy-vee is pretty darn good

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed, I eat these at least weekly, have 8 standin by, in my fridge, at th moment!
            I've posted tons of HV JCB cooks here, glad to know somebody else likes em, as well!

I'm from Alabama, so I'm in no way a brat connoisseur, but my local butcher (he's cajun) makes some mean sausages. I find his brats to be pretty good......But I can't help but buy his andouille sausages. They are the best I've ever eaten. So, I say that to say, we like a brat around my house, but tend to lean towards conecuh smoked sausage or his Andouille when we want to grill/smoke some sausages.

Butcher Shop and Specialty Food Store Beer and Wine Grilling Supplies

Comment

Wurst Kitchen in Aurora IL is the Best (sorry for the pun). Actually, having grown up in Wisconsin, I could point to a number of very good brats up there, but my info is a little dated.

Comment

I could arguably post a picture of my kids. But they are spoiled brats.

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              We have a sign up here that says, "I wouldn't be so spoiled if someone would spank my grandparents."

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes! Yes! Yes! Always willing to slide a Dad joke in there! You are the man!

• RickyBobby
              RickyBobby commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol, well played sir. Well played.

Brats are probably my favorite food to be grilled. I absolutely love them. My favorite commercial brand is Johnsonville. They are always good and very consistent. I can't get enough of those!

For a more local flavor, I love going to Kramarczuk’s!!! To me, they have the best variety, flavors and combos that I have ever seen. It is an amazing place to visit, even if you don't end up eating or buying anything. If you are ever in the Twin Cites, 1) Look me up! 2) Let's go party at Kramarczuk's!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, I'd haveta agree;I grill/smoke brats even more than burgers, an yall know I loves me some burgers!

• DiverDriver
              DiverDriver commented
              Editing a comment
              Whoa now that is a sausage kitchen! I love sausage and honestly cannot make half as good a places like that.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              It is one of my very favorite places! Great people too! DiverDriver

I’m pretty sure that if I lived up that way, I’d be even more brat-shaped than I am now. Sounds like kolbassi shops here in NEPA: we have stores that only sell different types of kolbassi.

Comment

We're lucky enough to have two butcher shops within 5 miles of our home and they both make their own brats, probably 30 or 40 varieties between the two.

As far as mass produced supermarket brats go, Johnsonville makes a limited release Queso and Pepper Jack brat that is just unbelievable. They only release them to the stores for a few weeks in May and they're gobbled up (literally) as soon as they hit the freezer cases. My wife happened to be grocery shopping one day shortly after they came out this year and grabbed the last package that they had, we were both floored by them. We've since checked every store in the area but it's the same story, sold out until Spring 2020.

Between now and then I have to develop an "in" at the local stores so I can get advanced notice.

Comment

How about fresh brats vs. precooked? I have a strong preference for fresh, but wouldn’t turn away from precooked.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fresh!

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Definitely fresh. Controlling the minimum cook temperature is important to me.

There’s a big difference between the 180F brats of my youth and the ones I make now.

• Murdy
                  Murdy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Both. I generally buy fresh, but then do the boil in beer thing, so by the time it hits the grill, its no longer "fresh." I used to work in a couple places where we took our fresh brats and smoked them, and they were good, so that would be a cooked product.

I had a woman come in once while I was stocking fresh brats into the case. They had been frozen, which she asked about. I tried to explain the difference between what fresh means to a butcher, fish monger, or most people for that matter, as opposed to how sausage makers use the term. I'm pretty sure she thought I was lying to her.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here