Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Lack Refinement or am I a Hot Dog Hill Billy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Lack Refinement or am I a Hot Dog Hill Billy?

Just did my first batch of Snake River Farms Hot Dogs.
    I must say I am kind of surprised by them as I am not really taking to them much.
    They are good enough don't get me wrong but to my taste definitely a step or two behind Nathans or Boars Head.
    I'm a hot dog freak and this kind of surprises me?

Just a different take on the dog. They’re not all made the same.
    I’ve had several different types from several different purveyors some I really liked and some just ah.
    Still love my natural casing Sabretts.

Comment

Yup! 🕶 Yer a Billy from the hills.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Reckon that'd make me an Cheef Neighbours, then lol!

Don't ever buy any thing from SRF's. It is over priced and you can get better from your local butcher or from other purveyors.

Comment

Like most things, it comes down to individual taste. I like the taste of Hebrew National the best, but wish they had the pop of natural casings...

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Very true, my wife loves Costco hot dogs meanwhile I can't stand them.
          Going green just thinking about them.
          In this neck of the woods it Schnieders All Beef Juicy Jumbos.
          Tried other brands but keep on going back.

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          smoking fool I believe you nailed it with the Costco hot dogs. I am not a fan of them either and the SNR dogs have the same taste profile to me.

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Its partially the boiled thing, a hot dog has to be grilled to be a hot dog, no ifs ands or buts.
          And the amount of garlic in these dogs really turns me off.

Believe it or not,,,hot dogs are like finding a fine wine,,,
        My fave is Kayem’s natural casing franks
        pork and beef
        they have what I like,,,,keeps me forever young

Comment

Mrs Mosca and I didn’t like them all that much, either.

I’m telling you, the best damn hot dogs you’ll ever eat come from Alpine Wurst and Meat House in Honesdale, PA. We can get them in the supermarket here, but they are worth ordering on line. Once you try them, you will never eat any other. You will crave them in your sleep. You will think about them all day, until dinner time. You will eat hot dogs every day of the week, dressing them differently every day, because you want to and this is America.

All the other wursts are also awesome. Just sayin’. And, they are a manufacturer, not a distributor, not selling a product made by a boutique packer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E99B1C74-DA43-49FD-8FFE-8FB145BF8755.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	713207 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            They are $6 in store, but if I couldn’t get them I would pay the on line price anyhow.

• Randy-Phx
            Randy-Phx commented
            Editing a comment
            $20 of hot dogs cost $40 to ship. Too steep for me for hot dogs.

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            They put a bottle of Ketchup on their page next to their hot dogs. Yikes. How could I possible order their dogs. 🤮

I love Walnut Creek natural casing pork and beef hotdogs. Made 40 minutes from where I live. They have the perfect "SNAP" when you bite into them.

Comment

I just got a big pack of Dearborn all beef dogs from a meat market in Detroit. They are excellent.

Comment

I'm a fan of Oscar Mayer premiums, on sale them babies is cheap! I appreciate your review, sorta confirms what I had suspected.

Comment

Vienna Beef natural casing franks are my favorite when I can find them. Otherwise it's Hebrew National bun lengths, or Nathan's natural casing beef franks.

Comment

• Troutman
                  Troutman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Vienna, Chitown’s best. Proper snap in the casing, delicious. If you want a proper Chicago dog, it has to be a Vienna !!!

I’m with you on both Nathan’s and Boars Head. But I’m surprised there’s not even a mention (yet?) of Klements?? Once in a while I pick those up at The Fresh Market, kind of a treat.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	79F6D832-9354-4F9D-AA47-85F7AA5B09D8.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	713406

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here