Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sausage Stuffers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage Stuffers?

I little surprised AR has no reviews of dedicated sausage stuffers. My KitchenAid grinds well, but but the best stuffer. Anyone have a stuffer they like?

I like LEM stuffers.

Comment

I have Weston equipment.

Comment

Not a whole lot to stuffers. I got large enough to get metal gears rather than the plastic ones.

Comment

10 years ago (or so) I bought my stainless steel 5 lb. sausage stuffer through sausagemaker.com. still works great.

Comment

I am a novice sausage maker but I don't care much for my Kitchen Aid stuffer. The KA Grinder works great for my small batches of meat. I found a stainless steel hand stuffer with metal gears on Craig's List. It has a Gander Mountain decal but not sure the manufacturer. It sure works a lot better than the KA mixer stuffer IMO.

Comment

Best one I have purchased and use is the LEM 5lb stuffer.

Comment

I'm very happy with my Walton's 11 lb model. https://www.waltonsinc.com/11-lb-sausage-stuffer I got it last year on their Christmas sale to upgrade from my Northern Tool 5 lb (that really only holds about 4 lb). If you want the old one, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping. It's nothing fancy but still works fine.

Comment

I have an older version of the LEM 5 pound vertical stuffer. It works fine. The newer version is available on Amazon about $40.00 less than the LEM web site.

All vertical stuffers work about the same, just make sure what you get has all steel gears and that the stuffing tubes use the standard 1-9/16" or 2" base.
                  I have never heard anybody say anything positive about the horn style stuffers.

Comment

I've been very happy with my 5 lb LEM stuffer. Since I got it directly from them they included stainless steel tubes instead of the plastic tubes they sell through third parties.

Comment

I had been using my grinder to stuff sausage also. It worked fine for coarse ground sausage, but not at all for finer ground meat mixtures like bratwurst. Enter the Weston 7 pound dual speed manual sausage stuffer. ‘‘Twas a game changer for my sausage game! I am a super noob sausage maker, but this stuffer has been fantastic. I have successfully used it by myself, but have found it is easier if you have an assistant. The dual speed function is nice for winding the plunger back up after you’ve exhausted the meat in the hopper. I opted for the 7 pound capacity instead of the 5 pound because I wanted to limit the number of times I needed to reload. Generally I’m grinding up between a 5 and 6 pound chuckle for my beef sausage, so I can get all of it in the hopper in one go. It’s easy to clean and comes with 4 different size funnels, which is nice. https://www.westonsupply.com/Weston-.../86-0701-w.htm

Hope that helps shine at least a little light on why I picked the Weston! Happy Stuffing!

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                        Backroadmeats commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think Westin makes the Cabela's ones too.. I wrecked 4 or 5 of those stuffers trying to make snack sticks with it..everything else it would stuff fine except sticks.. just a heads up..

I have a LEM type 5# stuffer. It works well, and is easy to clean. It also makes a real good cheese press when I make the occasional cheese wheel. I like simplicity whenever possible. This type stuffer needs less water in the meat mix versus other types, which gives me a greater degree of control over how I want my sausage to turn out versus other types. Many "stuffers" like the Kitchen Aid require added water to stuff a casing well. The vertical press type does not. This leaves me free to use whatever mix I like. Too much added water "washes out" the flavor, at least till the excess water is cooked out. By the time the water is cooked out, the sausage flavor can be compromised, at least to my palette. If I can stuff a sausage with no added water, the flavor is a great deal better. Some of the cheaper "hand " stuffers are good, but a lot of work to use when using a stiffer mix, but they do work. The vertical stuffer is just easier for me, especially when doing 20# batches of sausage.

As a long time pro, my advice is to do what is easiest to get what you want. The easier it is, the more you will utilize it.

Good cooking from Houston, Alaska

Comment

I use "the sausage maker" products. They are first rate IMHO.

there are a million products and LEM is the usual "go to" of many. Most will work just fine for you.

Comment

I have 5 stuffers that I have tried through out the years. Two hand crank 5 lb. verticals, a water powered stuffer from Dakota, a Kitchen Aid and a newly purchased 7 lb. motorized stuffer from Hakka Brothers. I've been making sausage for over 40 years and I wanted to get away from the hand cranks and make it easier for me. The KA grinds well but terrible at stuffing. The Dakota stuffs nice and fast but a lot of trouble to reload and work with. So far I'm very please with the Hakka Brothers stuffer. Motorized and with a foot pedal so I can make sausage by myself. The reason I didn't try LEM was their motorized stuffers come in two sizes, 20 and 30 lbs. and I like to limit my batch sizes since I may stuff a couple different recipes when I make sausage. I make sausage more often now that it is easier on me.

Comment

• Spinaker
                            Spinaker commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Welcome to The Pitmaster Club. Please take a second to introduce yourself. We would love to hear more from you!
                            Tell us about yourself, your cooking skills or lack thereof, your current cooking gear or lack thereof, and meet other Pitmaster Club members! This is a great second stop, the first stop being the "Help!" channel to learn your way around our forum, how to create new topics, share pics, and so on.

I have a Binford 4000 sausage stuffer and it ....
                          oh wait, it’s not an........ never mind.

Comment

• RickyBobby
                            RickyBobby commented
                            Editing a comment
                            🤣👍

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here