Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Restaurants Smoked Sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Restaurants Smoked Sausage?

If one goes to a typical bbq restaurant and orders smoked sausage what type sausage are they getting? I'm guessing it not Italian, Bratwurst or what one typically finds in a grocery store. I'm also guessing it varies by region?
    Last edited by Missin44; June 3, 2019, 07:15 PM.

Hot guts or east Texas hot links here in my neck of the woods.

Comment

I’ll be following. The exact question I was going to ask.

Comment

Texas hot guts out there. Here in Alabama I buy Conecuh sausage in 4 pound packs when I get the urge to throw some on the smoker.

Comment

• MillerTime
          MillerTime commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh man, I love some Conecuh over here in GA as well! Definitely my go-to as you said.

Varies by region. You see kielbasa around here. And Texas hot links.

Comment

• Oastytoasty
          Oastytoasty commented
          Editing a comment
          The hot links are also pork instead of beef and are very coarsely ground

Lots of variants of kielbasa around here, what they call hill country sausage (from Elgin & Lockhart). Went to a Mexican bbq joint this week for pollo asado—excellent! They served a Mexican style hot link I really enjoyed.

Comment

No such thing as "BBQ Joints" in SoCal. We have some BBQ restaurants but bbq is not a thing here or a way of life like in other parts of the country.

I generally make my sausage in small batches. We also have Chorizo, pork n beef and an el Salvadoran smaller, thicker chorizo.

Some deli italian sausage and some German sausages as well. All of the above a really good and UNcured.

much of what’s available is fully cooked and or cured.

great question!

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            We once had a 6 hour stopover in San Salvador and had a local sausage sandwich for was fantastic. 6 hours in the San Salvador airport, not so fantastic.

Post some recipes please... I am going to get a bunch of different sausages made up. I woulld like Elgin, hot links jalapeño/cheddar and some herb/chicken recipies Thanks

Comment

Since yesterday I've looked at a number of recipes. Basically you have 4 proteins - pork, beef, chicken and lamb. All recipes can have a a singular protein or a combination of any of the four. Throw in wild game and turkey, duck, goose, etc. and the possibilities are endless. About the only protein I didn't see was seafood.

After that its just a matter of spices, liquid and fat type with can even include oil(olive, vegtable, etc.) and butter. To me it would be an interesting exercise to come up with your own custom sausage. The only real equipment you need is a grinder. Not even a stuffer is required.
          Last edited by Missin44; June 4, 2019, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Oh and don't forget Boudan

Comment

• Gunderich_1
              Gunderich_1 commented
              Editing a comment
              One of my very favorites!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here