Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attjack's Hot Dog Series.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attjack's Hot Dog Series.

I'm conducting a hot dog research project where I do a new take each time on the humble hot dog to see where it takes me.
    Last edited by Attjack; May 21, 2019, 01:32 PM.

Like the makeup of the weenie itself or the toppings or both?

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe both since I want to start making sausage. But for the short term, I'll have purchased the hot dogs.

The Banh Mi Dog

Spiralized Applegate all beef hot dog, mayonnaise, jicama, pickled daikon and carrots, jalapenos, cilantro, and sriracha on a toasted organic bun.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nHkBcR_5PwoVABrY6IaFGavFe5pTPIBjKjho38XzT_ieNia-1q9hgSl0dQSzJHASNj2Lx5U5lG4x9ZSHP-m8VX_-WtFQBNSUM9VCkZUumHpDnhgQZBCDaqNJLdn7ZWOUv4-PURixFNFN4NOoDzOHu4onRWknG9XikBW55wSRAMgTXdEq1F0GmUS-v9hIJkOwp5jipiSFyLuKhNkvPmuxUk4oG8ezOIEhwi796YuLM72SzXkATih7cVb_4o1Y3_m
Views:	385
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	682674

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Gorgeous shot! This sounds killer.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Spiralized! Did you do it? Did you use a spiralizing tool, or did you do it by hand? I like it! It would bring out all of that delicious hot dog flavor; kinda like the reason they slice deli meat so thin and then stack many slices on the sandwich - more contact with the taste buds!

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah!
      treesmacker Just push the sausage down on a skewer and make the spiral with a knife, then remove the skewer and voila!!

The Kimchi Dog

All beef Applegate hot dog, with kimchi mayonnaise, jalapenos, chopped fresh onions, spicy kimchi, and crispy fried red peppers, on a toasted bun.

Click image for larger version  Name:	_jhA_ppSvWDODkIVPQTwbIyERYgUnfl22ZDqSb2Ysn5h7OMW73_r-rHvunNt9Q_vk9rJoqeX9KmeAmZZ6-7z99hmt7wut1V_GgVJOgqY4pbepOUYIpEnqTWdy_kVYZd0d6MHqPu2lywuC8ErBhMgqlY3kd3TBzcwI63ydAOj0hdRhLsZU_et9OpYVJRIRYM1kgTG7C9xI5CNq5eaWE6fpS5Re1x2NEoOS5Y52SFfNR32MIbsz7lHMWtc9f47Lg3 Views:	1 Size:	234.2 KB ID:	682677
    Last edited by Attjack; May 21, 2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your style on this one!

Here's a few I threw together.....not as pretty as yours but sure were tasty !!!

Name:	hot dogs 01.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	682682

Comment

Don't forget the classic coney dog. I know it's fairly simple, but man is it good.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll take it under advisement!

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Big fan of the coney dog. and the fries with a coney dog. Following this post.

Attjack Maybe an open faced version. That way you get the sear flavor all over.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Good call. I bought a Lodge cast iron press and I don't think I've used it yet. That would be a good way to break it in.

Don't underestimate the Seattle Dog topped with cream cheese. Delicious!

And ripper dogs (deep fried hotdog) are a favorite of mine as well.

Here is a good list for research purposes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hot_dogs

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack Most people in Seattle haven't heard of them either. The vendors around the stadiums for the Seahawks and Mariners serve them. It is usually a German or Polish sausage instead of just a regular hot dog and the cream cheese is just squirted on top. The probably thin out the cream cheese so it can be squeezed but it is very, very good.

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Rutts Hut Clifton NJ. I grew up in on their rippers. Got to be 45 years since I've been there. Far as I know still going strong. If you live in the area you might already know about them. If not check it out if you can.

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      As far as I can tell, the cream cheese isn't thinned out at all JoeSousa. Excellent with grilled onion and green pepper, which is traditional as well

The Hotdog Special. From a bar I frequented many years ago. This is my own spin on it.

2 beef hotdogs, Butterflied
    2 slices of bacon cooked to your doneness liking. Me, crisp.
    Slice of cheese. Your choice. Me, smoked something. Cheddar works real nice.
    A roll. Me, bulky usually with poppy seeds.
    Since I joined here, Cowboy Candy!

Grill or C.I. the dogs till they spread their wings like a butterfly Crisp on the edges and juices flowing. DO NOT BOIL!!!!!!!!
    Place on roll, add all the other stuff minus Cowboy Candy ( I like them cold). Place in oven at 200 till cheese melts and roll crisps up. Add C.C. and enjoy.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed....boiling hot dogs should be against the law punishable by criminal charges.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      And as Meathead says, it's letting the enemy win !!!

"Spiralized! Did you do it? Did you use a spiralizing tool, or did you do it by hand? I like it! It would bring out all of that delicious hot dog flavor; kinda like the reason they slice deli meat so thin and then stack many slices on the sandwich - more contact with the taste buds!” - treesmacker

I stuck a thin round skewer through the center and then cut the spiral with a knife.

Name:	20190521_120026.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	682878

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Clay spiralizing definitely improves the hot dog and I would do it for a group provided I had the time.
      Last edited by Attjack; May 29, 2019, 01:01 PM.

• ClayJones
      ClayJones commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool I'm going to try that this weekend then. Glad you made this topic! I've definitely been neglecting the dogs.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      This is going to be the summer of dogs. I can feel it.

Not very sophisticated but very popular in our family - Cut a lengthwise wedge cavity in the dog and fill with a thin sliced wedge of dill pickle spear, a thin slice of a durable hard cheese such as cheddar and wrap tightly with bacon as to hide the cheese and pickle as much as possible so the cheese does not melt out. Secure the bacon at both ends with tooth picks and grill until the bacon is edible. My daughter when she was 8 aptly named this combo "glory dogs" because she thought they were heaven. Gotta love kids.

Comment

Not a recipe but more of a memory.

I grew up in northern New Jersey across the Hudson from NYC. Ft Lee is where Jersey connects to the city via the Geo. Washington bridge and it's where Hiram's Hot Dog stand has been operating since 1932. They deep fry their dogs and let the customer put the fixings on themselves in the way of condiments, kraut, etc.
      The first taste of something as a kid often sets the standard for what you consider "good" and although I hope my palate has evolved in sophistication, Hirams dogs are still far and away my ideal dog. Deep fried, add the onions, kraut, mustard (this is Jersey after all--east coast fixings).
      My dad brought me there as a kid and years later I introduced my (6 yr old?) son to Hirams dogs. I mentioned to the counter man that my father bought me there as a kid and now I was bringing my son as well.
      His reply?
      "And when he brings his kids in, I'll still be here"
      Did I say this was Jersey? Classic. Click image for larger version

Name:	Hirams.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	683425

Comment

Wiener in a bun.. onion/ketchup/mustard/shrimpsalad as garnish

Name:	QTZLG5q.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	683455

Comment

BBQ Bacon Dog

Cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped all-beef Applegate hot dog, with roasted jalapenos, shallots, and smokey-sweet BBQ sauce on a toasted organic bun.

Click image for larger version  Name:	t90uWOEnVg4gclTKpPmIJUUyCux_qoAQlxKSUStsvjQOJlbqEAOT3HLCqyhxd-UJwRctbVs_kqPwb1qOHg50kyfIhmEM372Kfqnn2FXlW0vEFFkXBF9hjGmJI1mjKUSpU8_2e7E9FoU3QeWpb_KTomNfVs376d-F49TXwGcMOLxTk8NOfJfi-kIwZjduNx54p0rqUZ96lk4MA0f0nVQvsyh2Hgm2hBMvzYa3lIX9fvHFe0S5ZbEZPaoGK_yhi28 Views:	1 Size:	312.8 KB ID:	683660

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman I have an office in the back of my house. Today, however, because it's warm out I'm working from the bar seating in my outdoor kitchen.

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes please!

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          fml

So Attjack I'm waiting to hear what you think of the different styles you've tried. They all look amazing, do they taste amazing too? Do you have a favorite so far? Any recommendations for improvement on the ones you've made, or are they just right?

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          They have all been very good and I would and make them again. I'm a huge banh mi fan. The Banh Mi Dog I made with jicama because I had it on hand. I would have used cucumber otherwise.

For the Kimchi Dog, I had a batch of kimchi mayo made with coconut mayo. It's definitely better made with regular mayo. So I would change that.

The BBQ Bacon Dog lost much of its cheese during cooking. I need to adjust my methodology if I want to keep cheese in the mix.

Choosing a favorite is tough!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here