Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cure #1 Math

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cure #1 Math

Can someone check my math please? I bought some Prague Powder that is 6.25% sodium nitrite. If I use 0.25% by weight, then for 5 pounds (2268 grams) of meat, I use 5.67 grams of cure, 6.25% of which is sodium nitrite, so I end up with 0.3544 grams of sodium nitrite for 2268 grams of meat, or 156 ppm. That about right for sausage? I'm also adjusting the salt content because I'm adding 5.3 grams (93.75% of 5.67 grams) of salt with the cure, yes?

Thanks
    -Mark

We typically recommend you use Dr Blonder's Cure Calculator, there's no oopses with that, assuming you enter all values correctly. Go here and scroll down a little ways: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...g-meats-safely

Comment

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr Blonder's calculator says it is for a wet cure. For sausage, there is no wet. However if you input ls1m 5 pounds meat and zero liquid and move the slider to 150ppm, you get the amount of cure#1 needed for sausage.

I agree with your calculations, and those quantities are the normally recommended values for sausage.

Comment

OK cool thanks!

Comment

I guess it worked because I ate it and I didn't die. I mixed the curing salt in with my spices & blended with the meat immediately after grinding. It turned kind of gray in the fridge after an hour or so, and then it got real pink when I cooked it. Hope that's normal. It's a mix of pork belly and brisket, two batches, one stuffed in hog casings and another in collagen, then smoked to 160 degF.

So I typically will keep leftovers for three days. How long can I keep leftover sausage? It's been over a week now.

Comment

Always a true test of good food, "ya didn’t die".

Comment

Much easier to calculate when you use Kilograms instead of antiquated lbs. 2.5-3 grams per kilo

Comment

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 and much less error prone, just slide the decimal around, thus 0.25% = 2.5 g/kg, etc.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here