Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Time Sausage Making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jerrybell
    replied
    Looks great. I've been dabbling in sausage making recently. I'm waiting for the weather to cool off to make some Polish sausage and bratwurst.

Leave a comment:

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    I use a sourse called the SausageMaker.com. They have af bunch of premixed sausages recipes and mix your own.

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    replied
    BackroadmeatsSkip thanks for this thread. My friend I made charcuterie with earlier I. The year are going at our next batch and will be doing some smoked sausage of some sort. Looking at a jalapeño flavored sausage. Reading this and the links provided helped tremendously.

yet another reason for membership to The Pit!

Leave a comment:

• Backroadmeats
    commented on 's reply
    Now for the second part of my post when I use cure in my sausage I smoke it at 140 for an hour 160 for an hour then 180 until internal temp of 160. As soon as I pull it out if the smoker I put in ice water to stop the cooking and tighten the casings (they get all wrinkly otherwise) sorry for the confusion hope that clarified some of my post. Sorry

• Backroadmeats
    commented on 's reply
    Skip ok I read my post and it is confusing.. I do not put cure in my fresh sausage. Adding cure to fresh sausage will give it a Pinker color when cooked and a slightly different texture. If you add cure to your fresh sausage you can eat it right away. I always have some frying in a pan to test before I even stuff it!!
    Last edited by Backroadmeats; May 21, 2019, 03:59 PM.

• Skip
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you for your help @Backroadsmeats. I'm a little skeptical with some of the
    details but willing to listen and learn.

• Backroadmeats
    commented on 's reply
    I don't put it in my fesh sausage. It would make the color appear a little redder and change the texture some..it won't hurt to eat them right away, I let mine sit overnight before smoking.. I smoke at 140 for an hour then 160 for an hour then 180 until internal temp of 160.. as soon as I pull from the smoker I put in ice water to stop cooking and tighten up the casings..

• Skip
    replied
    Does anyone here put any Prague Powder #1 Cure in their fresh sausage? I wondered if it would add some red color in the sausage. Also if I would put some "cure" in the sausage does it need to be in there for any length of time or can we grill and eat the sausage right away?

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    commented on 's reply
    @Backroadsmeats I have the HiTemp cheese, I just didn't venture that far yet. Thanks for your inspiration!

• Richard Chrz
    replied
    Originally posted by FireMan View Post
    The way I see it Barry, if Skip can do it we can do it. One of my buddies has a sausage thingie & we wuz lamenting not being able to get any decent kielbasa around here. We are now going to try it. I’ll let you know how it goes. 👍👍👍 🕶
    Post up when done! I always say, if someone else can do it successfully, that means I can show you 10 ways to screw it up.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    TripleB agreed. Those do not look like 1st time brats to me!

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you Skip for the links. I can't wait to check them out. I have seen that book a bunch of times in my news feed as I do a few searches. Guess, I need to pull the trigger and just jump in and enjoy the process

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Lookin forward very much to this Ride!
    Might be th birth of an Empire...
    Th "Give A Rip Sausage Co." sounds purty catchy!

• Backroadmeats
    commented on 's reply
    Ohh Sheboygan.. my favorite!! Try some maple syrup and high temp cheddar cheese in it.. I use the Sheboygan a for breakfast sausage we eat at least a hundred pounds a year!!

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Brother!
    That's a number of very helpful links, all in one spot, Perfectamundo, an added to my favourites!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here