Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one inject before slicing jerky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one inject before slicing jerky?

So I finally dialed in my jerky recipe except for one area... consistency. I don't have a problem with the spices or salt, but the heat is random. I've tried slicing, blending, and either of the former in addition to reducing my marinade... but the kick is intermittent. The only other thing I can think to do is trim the fat off whatever cut and inject my blend to slice and marinade later? My most recent batch has roughly 1 habanero per lb of beef (current batch is 7 peppers to 4ish lbs of meat sliced), most pieces have good heat, but not every bite.

The weird thing is I thought it was seed distribution, so this last batch I diced semi fine and tried to get seed spread across every piece, but some of the pieces without any seeds or flesh are just as spicy and some aren't. When I first started testing this recipe I used jalapeno and the result was not as spicy obviously, but much more consistent.

The recipe I'm using is currently (very loosely) per 4lb
    2 tsp cider vinegar
    1 tsp ginger
    1 tsp ground pepper
    1 cup soy sauce
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup Worcestershire
    1 tbsp. garlic powder
    2 tbsp. paprika
    Salt to taste before adding meat.
    (the above or a bottle of Dale's which is similar, but sometimes more expensive)
    1 12oz bottle of beer (IPA has brought out the most spice, but the funk carries over. Most tasters have preferred cheap lager so far)
    6 cloves garlic minced
    X number of peppers (I couldn't taste the peppers when I blended, I prefer slicing and/or dicing)

Depending on thickness of slices, marinate 12-30 hours massaging and flipping at least 2 times. If marinating longer than 12 hours you might want to add a bit more beer or some other liquid to reduce saltiness.

(pan fry 1 piece before smoking to see if more salt is needed)

Smoke at 170ish for 4-6 hours depending on thickness
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; April 7, 2019, 04:19 AM.

I would add an appropriate amount of insta cure #1 and vacuum seal the meat and marinade in a bag to ensure even meat penetration and keep the marinade close to the meat. if nothing else add the cure before you or someone else get sick..

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      The jerky is stored in the fridge when I don't add cure Unfortunately I don't have a vacuum sealer. I use the sink full of water method to purge all air from a gallon Ziploc.
      Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; April 7, 2019, 04:20 AM.

Do you cook the marinade before you apply it to the beef? I use a modified version of Susie Bullich’s Hey Grill Hey Dr Pepper Jalapeño jerky recipe. I found that if I bring the marinade to a full boil and let it boil a minute or so, then simmer at a slow boil, my jerky is much hotter. I marinade for 3 days and I put on a glove and stir the beef each day for maximum heat. I use hatch green chili’s rather than jalapeños.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      Editing a comment
      I have reduced it previously and the flavors of the marinade intensified but the heat distribution did not change. With what I'm using I prefer the flavor profile non-reduced honestly. I could marinade longer though I guess, but I'd have to cut down the salt content or thin it out a bit more because the one time I went over 24 hours it was on the edge of too salty.

I have never tried injecting, it has never occurred to me. Our recipes are similar, and i'll try with finely diced peppers for a couple batches and see how that turns out. As it stands, I get consistent results, but I pull the meat, strain the marinade, remix, load the meat again. and pour the marinade back in usually three times over ~ 36 hours before dehydrating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jerky beef.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	661019

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to try your idea of fully removing and reading the meat, I don't usually have any discoloration from lack of marinade exposure with my gallon bag method but it has happened a couple times.

Ok I figured I'd just give it a shot and see what happens. I have a 3+ lb top round (or was it bottom?) and went for simplicity and just used a bottle of dales adding a jar of jalapenos (sans the brine), a can of chipotles for flavor, a heaping spoon of minced garlic and blended the heck out of it. The marinade isn't as spicy as my normal starting point, but it still packs some heat... I didn't want to go too hot in case this actually improves the uniformity of spice. Almost the entire blenders worth injected into the meat with maybe 1/4 cub left over which got dumped on the whole unsliced meat.

Plan is to rotate it a few times since the marinade only touches half the meat, then tomorrow evening slice it up and marinade for another 24 hours or so.

I'll report my findings probably Monday.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      Editing a comment
      Got it sliced up, the marinade distribution was excellent. I did add cure this time because it's easier to tell if the marinade penetrated fully or not. It's spread almost perfectly uniform. However, unless the taste difference ends up tons better the mess isn't gonna be worth it lol.

I generally add red pepper flakes to my marinades. That seems to add another level of heat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here