Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite store bought smoked sausage/kielbasa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your favorite store bought smoked sausage/kielbasa?

I'd like to hear opinions on this. It seems to me the quality of store bought smoked sausage and kielbasa has gone down over the years. When my mother made black bean and sausage soup in her clay cooker when I was growing up, the sausage had better flavor and the casing a nice snap. I find it hard these days to find anything that really comes close. I occasionally cook using a Romertopf clay cooker in the oven with her recipe but it just isn't the same. I also like to cook these sausages on the smoker for snacks while waiting for the ribs to finish. Looking for readily available store bough items. Feel free to list items that can be purchased online and shipped as well. Thanks in advance for your input!

Conecuh has become our favorite. Wally world and Publix both carry them. Great flavor, especially on the grill.

The Highest Quality Meats, Prepared With Our Patented Blend Of Seasonings, And Smoked Over A Pure Hickory Fire

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers Yeah, but it is $87 for shipping for 12 lbs of sausage. That is a bit ridiculous.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      JoeSousa, $87 for shipping??? You are right - they aren't THAT good.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I think this is an example of why the best sausage may be what you can source locally, to avoid paying the freight charges and dry ice, etc.

I kinda like Hillshire Farms beef smoked sausage

Comment

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      I almost always have one or two of those in the fridge. Great for a quick dinner and the kids like it. Boil some pasta, mix in some butter and Parmesan, and fry up some cut up sausage. Of course it isn't the best sausage but it does the job.

• Johnny Big Time
      Johnny Big Time commented
      Editing a comment
      Got that right!

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      Works great in a pot of beans, too.

Prasek's Hillje Smoked sausage from El Campo Texas is mine. When I get a chance to get up there, I love me some Hill Country sausage from Black's BBQ in Lockhart, German country perfection !!!

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Prasek's is a regular stop for us when going between Victoria and Houston. They really fixed their place up a couple of years ago. I'm sure it was just a coincidence, but their remodeling happened about the same time Bucky's opened up just down the road in Wharton.

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      No trip to South Texas is complete without it. Also love their cheese selection.

I like Prasek's sausage, but my favorite is Maeker's, also a Texas product, from Shiner, the home of Shiner Bock Beer.

I don't know if they ship out of state, but you could call them.

BTW, Prasek's makes great jerky, too. You can order from them.

Wild Game ProcessingSmoked TurkeysBBQ BrisketMeat Gift PacksStick Snacks
    Last edited by gcdmd; March 27, 2019, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Shiner Bock ..... mmmmmmm!

Conecuh Sausage made right here in ALabama has been our favorite for as long as I can remember. They are slowly expanding their distribution, use to be only parts of AL, but now it's inching to other states......

It's fun to stop in when I'm headed south to the Gulf. Their shop is open to the public, right off I-65.
    The Highest Quality Meats, Prepared With Our Patented Blend Of Seasonings, And Smoked Over A Pure Hickory Fire

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I second or third this suggestion! Here in Alabama they sell it in 1# and 4# packages in most grocery stores, and I like to cook it on the grill, but it would be great in soups and gumbos as well.

Nowicki's Sausage out of Alpena, MI. You can only get it from their website/store or one of the various shows he sets a booth up in. It's worth a try for anyone, I'd put it up against any other sausage out there!

Comment

My fav smoked sausages are the Hot Italian ones from Fresh Market that I smoke on my PBC along with chicken for every single chicken cook. My freezer is full of home-smoked sausage!

Kathryn

Comment

I really like the Sweet Italian Sausage from Sprout's!

Comment

The kielbasa I really miss is Kowalski’s Kowality kielbasa. It’s made in Hamtramck Mi. Haven’t had it in decades. The cost of shipping is practically the cost of the sausage. So I’m in the land of German sausage influence, who do not know how to make Polish sausage. Hillshire brand does not cut it, it’s some bland generic sausage.

Comment

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I'm going to look into some of these and give them a shot!

Comment

You might be able to get Roger Wood smoked sausage in NC. I've had good luck with that one. It looks like one of those cheap off-brands, but it's really tasty .

Comment

• Hulagn1971
              Hulagn1971 commented
              Editing a comment
              We do have that here. I avoided it for the reason you mentioned but will give it a fair shot. Thanks!

I just checked, and the Conecuh is available in the following North Carolina stores:

North Carolina

Cherry Point MCAS
            Ft Bragg North
            Ft Bragg South
            Ingle's Markets
            Food Lion
            Publix

May or may not be the best, but its nice and spicy, and I like its reasonable $3.99 a pound price, and it goes good on the grill. A 4 pound pack is usually even cheaper here at Walmart, for about $12 or so.

Comment

• Hulagn1971
              Hulagn1971 commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris thank you. I have a Food Lion nearby. There's a Publix in Winston-Salem which is about 15 minutes away and an Ingle's in Walnut Cove which isn't too far.

Crap, now you guys got me wanting to go to Prasek's, they opened a new one in Sealy just about 30 minutes or so from the house. Gotta have me some of that.....

...oh yea and they got some of that....

...oh excuse me you really wanted some of this .....

...oh yea and they got this tiny little meat counter iffin ya want some more.....

I'm outta here, I'll be at Prasek's this week end if anyone wants to meat up !!!! Later !!!

Comment

• Hulagn1971
              Hulagn1971 commented
              Editing a comment
              That brisket looks incredible.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              You folk out in Texas have it made. I've not seen meat counters like that anywhere.

My favorite store bought Kielbasa is from:
            ​​​​​​Click image for larger version  Name:	D8B65F4C-58CD-419E-860B-B309EFFA933E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	33.0 KB ID:	656677 S&D Polish Deli, 2204 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222.
            www.polishfoodandgifts.com

Their Wedding Kielbasa is a double smoked Kielbasa with a hint of garlic. This Kielbasa is a real treat. You get the smoky taste with just the right amount of garlic and pepper. Once you have it you can't get enough of it. Price per pound $7.49. Sold in packages apr.1.5-1.3/4 lb..
            Last edited by WVsmoke; March 28, 2019, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here