Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat Grinder Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat Grinder Question

So after my Kitchen Aid failed while grinding some butt for sausage the other day, my much better half gave me the go ahead to get a dedicated grinder. I have looked some LEM grinders and they look awesome, but the DW asked me to look at Cabelas since we got a $50.00 gift card for Christmas. I was thinking about this one"

Click image for larger version  Name:	grinder.jpg Views:	1 Size:	24.2 KB ID:	652197

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...pe=product&amp

Anybody used one of these?

I recommend searching for product reviews. My meat grinder got good reviews and I’m happy with it and use it often. I’m not familiar with the model you are considering. I also recommend checking YouTube.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I read through the reviews on Cabelas site. Most were good.

That's a slightly nicer version of what I've got. If I had it to do over again I would get this one because all of the removable parts look to be stainless steel (from what I see in the description), whereas mine are plated metal. Be aware it's quite loud, but I suppose that's probably true for most serious meat grinders. I still use the grinder attachment on my mixer if I'm just making a some burgers or whatever, but for anything more than a few pounds this is a good option. I just ground 40 pounds of sausage on Saturday.

Comment

Buy the biggest one you can justify.. you will not regret it.. Cabela's makes a good grinder.. I believe they are made for them by Weston.. I had a #42 1.75 hp Cabela's grinder that I put through the ringer bad!! Still worked when I upgraded.. stay away from Cabela's stuffers though I tore the gears out of my 30 lb stuffer 4 times in a year .. the kepr giving me a new one but I finally told the to give me my money back..

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Weston use to make them but the current ones are imported by Blue Sky Inovations in Ohio and appear to be manufacured by NB BAINIAN ELECTRIC APPLIANCE CO in China

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        That gives me pause. Maybe I’ll take another look at LEM. Heard nothing but good things about them.

I noticed the reverse button. Make sure you point that out to your wife so she can help you when your figure gets stuck down that things throat!

On a more serious note, that is a nice looking unit. I don't have a grinder at all so my opinion is not of much help. Good luck in your quest and take your time.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        My figure won’t fit in there. Maybe 30 years ago...

• NapMaster
        NapMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Well just look at your huge finger as a built in safety feature. 👍

I have the 3/4 HP Cabelas grinder and have found that it fits my needs perfectly. A couple of things Cabela's have going in their favor besides a quality grinder is their warranty and the added cool gel pak that comes with the unit. I recommend going to their site and researching in more detail the advantages of the bigger units and the accessories that come with them or are available for additional cost. If you only plan on using the grinder on occasion then what you shared would probably be fine, but for long term use and reliability a more substantial grinder will serve you better. My $0.02

Comment

You could still get an LEM and use the Cabela’s gift card on sausage casings and seasonings.

I don’t have experience with the Cabela’s grinder, but I have a 1/3 HP LEM and I love it.

Either way, I think you will be happy!

Comment

One if the things I should have posted is that the main reason I want a grinder is to make sausage and ground beef, veal, stuff like that. I don't hunt, so there won't be any game involved. Probably use it 2 or 3 times a month.

Comment

I have a LEM 1182 Meat Grinder , Quite happy with it . The grinder serves it purpose well for the amount we use it . We just use it for ground beef and making sausage . The salesman at Sheels suggested this model to us .
          Click image for larger version

Name:	71EzDvCZ+ZL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	652471

Comment

I have not used one of the electric ones.

Heck, I still use an old hand crank grinder. It seems to work fine for me. Mostly I use it to grind down fat for rendering. There is just something about turning that hand crank, so satisfying.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
              DavidNorcross commented
              Editing a comment
              I am also leaning in this direction.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              My grandma had an old hand crank grinder that clamped to the edge of a table or counter top. I need to see if my mom still has it, and "liberate" it if that is the case, or make sure it is willed to me, haha!

• DiverDriver
              DiverDriver commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha I use a griswold from 2 generations ago. Was my grandfathers then my mothers now mine. I use it at least 2 times a month for ham salad or beef spread. also occasional sausage grinding. wife got me the kitchen aide grinder attachment and it sucks.

I have an older version of the LEM grinder that BRic illustrated above. My daughter got it for me as "refurbished" on the LEM website. It has served well for grinding mostly <10 pound batches of sausage for 5-6 years. LEM sells refurbished equipment at a significant discount. Ours carried a 1 year instead of 2 year warranty.

Comment

As a part-time employee for the last 5 years of the company that bought Cabelas, I highly recommend the LEM. We used to sell pretty much the whole line of LEM products. But they have been phased out to make room for the Cabelas brand. I say LEM because I use my grinder and stuffer quite a bit making sausage monthly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluegill View Post
                As a part-time employee for the last 5 years of the company that bought Cabelas, I highly recommend the LEM. We used to sell pretty much the whole line of LEM products. But they have been phased out to make room for the Cabelas brand. I say LEM because I use my grinder and stuffer quite a bit making sausage monthly.
                I looked at LEM very seriously when in the market to buy. I ended up with the Cabela's after comparing quality and then warranty. LEM offers a 1 year limited warranty, while Cabela's offer's a lifetime warranty for Cabela's branded merchandise. Quality wise I couldn't see any difference in parts used, gearing materials or function. A close friend has a LEM grinder so yes I have seen them up close and personal and in use.
                That being said it was a personal choice and if you or anyone else selected a LEM, you made an excellent choice.

Comment

Hi! I use Kenwood electric meat grinder for 3 years and it's good (It looks like the second one here). Sometimes tough meat is locking a mechanism (it was when i wanted to grind freezing beef. Don't do that). But if you don't like experiments (I really like experiments) this grinder will be good for you
                  Last edited by Willh5080; April 2, 2020, 03:11 AM.

Comment

I have Lem #8 Big Bite. It is a little overkill but I have destroyed a KitchenAid mixer (because of a small piece of bone) and we grind our own burger, sausages, and sometimes other things. We do 20-25Lbs. each time we do burger. Still would like a manual grinder for some spontaneous grinding because the #8 is still a pretty big machine and cleaning is a pain for small grinds.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here