Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pancetta - an experiment new to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barelfly
    replied
    in the event some of you have subscribed to this post, I have finally got my final write up at this link:

Pancetta Experiment – final results I dig the pig. And who doesn’t. So, why not find one more way to make pig into yummy goodness at home. That was my goal – I’ve enjoyed

hope you enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    commented on 's reply
    It’s coming. I’ve been slammed with work and the kids schedule. But i also have been trying this a few different ways before I write the final write up.

This week, I’ll have it up! You won’t be disappointed!

• rickgregory
    replied
    Annnd???

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    replied
    WEEK #5 UPDATE

Some weight loss happened, hahaha. not much, but it did drop a bit over 1%, so now at a full 10% reduction. I may just cut into this the same time I serve up the charcuterie. Otherwise, this could be a painfully slow, slow wait for this to be ready! The bag did separate a bit from the roll in one area, which is ok for some things, but I don't know if that will hamper this. It was only a small area, so for the next week or so that I let this go, should be ok.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3963.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	670267

Leave a comment:

• EdF
    replied
    OK, just put a 3.5 lb piece of cured belly in the bag and fridge. Yahoo!

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the info, Thunder77. That could explain the differing processes and thoughts by Ruhlman, as he uses #1 in his book recipe for Pancetta and says it’s not usually eaten uncooked. Helpful info!

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    EdF, I sometimes have to look it up myself. 😁 I forget which is which. Interesting factoid: there is only one atom difference between nitrite and nitrate. Sodium nitrite has two oxygen atoms, nitrate has three oxygen atoms.
    Last edited by Thunder77; April 20, 2019, 07:18 AM.

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Thunder77 . I understood the principle, but not the specific chemicals.

• Thunder77
    commented on 's reply
    Prague powder #1 contains regular sodium chloride, and 6.25% sodium NITRITE. Prague powder #2 contains sodium NITRITE AND SODIUM NITRATE. Prague #2 is generally used for longer cures, and especially dry curing, where the NITRATE slowly breaks down into sodium NITRITE. #2 is used when cured foods will not be cooked.

• barelfly
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the comments Potkettleblack and EdF.

I appreciate the feedback, need to read a bit on those and timing then.

• EdF
    commented on 's reply
    #2 is more "time-release". It starts with either nitrate or nitrite, and then converts to the other over time. #1 is mostly/all one of them (I think nitrate). So as Potkettleblack says, #2 is intended for longer cures.
    Last edited by EdF; April 25, 2019, 05:28 PM.

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    That's a question above my pay grade. I believe 2 is more concentrated, so more for long term preservation, while 1 is more for coloration and mild preservative effect. But I could have that flipped or wrong.

• barelfly
    replied
    WEEK #4 UPDATE

Im at the 4 week mark with the pancetta. I originally thought 4 weeks would be fine, but I think I may let this go longer to develop the flavor more. The weight loss is starting to pick up a bit more, so maybe a few more weeks will be beneficial and my patience will be rewarded.

Weight came in at 69.25oz, about a 9% weight loss.

Click image for larger version  Name:	797C5ADF-989C-4BE7-A9C1-E33E48DF5E3E.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	666912

I did some reading regarding serving uncooked, and the Umai site does serve the pancetta uncooked, sliced very thin like others have mentioned above. The only difference in recipes/process is they use instacure #2 and Ruhlman uses Prague #1. I’ve emailed Umai Dry about this, but no reply. Do you have any thoughts on this difference, especially for serving uncooked?

Hope you enjoy the update!
    Last edited by barelfly; April 19, 2019, 09:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• barelfly
    replied
    WEEK #3 UPDATE

Moving right along with this, well aging is moving along that is! The weight loss, not so much, but that's ok. This is looking great though. I can't wait to try this - I can picture a small dice, crispy brown shell, with a tender and flavorful bite!

Weight was 70.25oz after three weeks, providing about an 8% weight loss. I'm thinking I'll go two more weeks with this at least. I'm going to research, see if weight loss really in this manner for Pancetta makes a difference. Depending on what I find, that may force me to be more patient with this!

Name:	IMG_3876.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	663241

In regards to firmness, it's about where it was last week, as is the color. The fatcap may have darkened slightly, but it is doing well.

Name:	IMG_3875.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	663240

Leave a comment:

• grantgallagher
    commented on 's reply
    In my, albeit limited, experience pancetta is served raw when sliced thin and cooked when diced or thicker cut due to texture issues. Its generally pretty tough. Might be woth dedicating some different final preps to your experiment.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here