Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sausage Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage Fail

After successfully grinding some chuck for burgers last week, I set my sites on andouille sausage this week. Got all set up last night, got the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment all ready to go, started grinding the pork but... and the mixer failed. Not sure what went wrong - the mixer is about 30 years old, but I have used it sparingly and have never had a problem.

First I noticed something black coming out with the meat. I stopped and took the grinder stuff off and noticed some black residue on the shaft that fits into the body of the mixer. Looked like graphite or something. Cleaned it and put it back together and started over, same thing. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Tried it one last time, and the motor went out. It pretty much just died. I heard it strain for a minute, then it stopped. I have never heard of one of these failing, but I guess at 30 years and counting, I can't complain.

I am thinking I will replace it with a dedicated grinder and separate stuffer. We hardly ever used the mixer anyway, so while we were disappointed about the sausage cook scheduled for today (both the better half and I are sausage fans), I will get to satisfy the MCS urge soon.

I have had something similar happen with a Kitchenaid grinder attachment. I would get it more at the end of the grind. I think it was something with the attachment, not my mixer. I did purchase a Lem #8 grinder because I had broken one of my Kitchenaid mixers while grinding beef (small bone that I missed while cutting.) I do not have the issue with the Lem. It could have something to do with the type of steel used in the Kitchenaid grinder. Not sure.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your tough luck. A dedicated grinder will work much better. Step up a level or two from the cheapest ones.

Comment

Order pizza!

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          AR makes me want to make the sausage for the pizza then buy a pizza oven device to fit the weber and make my own pizza. Cold smoke some cheese...

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Later.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep. Bad.

That is a shame it crapped out. But as you said, now you get to research and fret over what to replace it with. 30 years is not a bad run.

Comment

Sorry for the lost meat and mixer. However you won’t regret getting a dedicated grinder. If you follow my path it starts with grinder, which leads to a stuffer, which leads to larger totes, and finally to another refrigerator just to fit everything in. I don’t regret it one bit. Sausage making is fun.

Comment

When I researched prior to purchase it was a common issue. I've attached 1 link that talks about it. I've never had the issue. But it have taken the advise I've read about tightening prior to grinding. There are a bunch other comments on this. Via KA and Amazon.

I am new to making sausage but definitely like doing it, but I am having some concerns when using the KA mixer with the meat grinding attachment. I have put the attachments into the freezer to make them cold and also put the meat that I grind into the freezer r about 45 min before use. The...

Comment

Does the motor still run and just not turn all the turning bits? Or does the motor just not go? If the motor still runs you probably stripped the gears, which isn't a difficult fix at all and the parts should be available. The black gunk leaking out likely means it needed the old grease in the gearbox cleaned out and repacked. You should be able to find the service manual for your model on KitchenAids' site.

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                It just stopped running.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here