Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would like a true cajun breakfast sausage recipe..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like a true cajun breakfast sausage recipe..

I bought a down south breakfast sausage that was blahhhhhhh. As hell .. now I want a true cajun breakfast sausage recipe if anyone has one for 25 pounds.

There is no such thing. While Cajuns are known for lots of great food, breakfast sausage is not it. Lived here all my life and I married one. They do make very good link sausage and there is some locally made andouille that is frankly, unfreakin believable, in the town of Laplace. I suspect some in the pit can give you an excellent recipe for breakfast sausage. They may even be Cajuns. Just use theirs. If you want to add some heat, do so to taste. The rest of the nation asociates heat with Cajun food but that is BS. Cajun food, in general, is much more flavorful, but heat is not the key.

Sorry for the long diatribe. .. Rhett

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve been eating and cooking both Cajun and creole cooking for several decades. For those of us who know it, know it is some of the finest cuisine on the planet. And I agree, it’s not about the heat as much as the spice.

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      I am not so much interested in the heat but I love the flavors that Cajun food has.. I have no experience in cooking Cajun but I bought a Cajun breakfast sausage seasoning that was blahhhhhhh as could be.. Cajun food by no means should be blah so I thought I would check here for a recipe.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      There was a point in the late 1980s when Cajun culture and New Orleans were in the limelight in the national consciousness. In the wake of that, for marketing reasons, just about anything with a good dose of Cayenne Pepper in it got labeled "Cajun."

East and Central Texas are known for our hot sausage, just not breakfast sausage.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Guts !!!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes sir! Hot guts and East Texas hot links! Troutman

Look through this website and see if any fit the bill: https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a great resource. Thank you.

• Murdy
      Murdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, great website, thanks.

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      I've pulled many a recipe and information off that website. One of my favorites.

I use a combination of andouille and chorizo for a cajun breakfast hash I like to make. I'll sometimes throw in some pulled pork too, if I have some lying around.

Comment

Try Boudin, I make mine without pigs liver.

Comment

We have friends and she was born and lived in the country around Baton Rouge. She and her husband live here now but, as a teacher she goes back 3-4 weeks in the summer. She brings back a 1/2 of what she calls breakfast sausage with her for us. She calls it Boudin but it is not the white boudin I ate when in NOLA but a brown Boudin and it had a great spice flavor without being hot.

For those of you who like Cajun/Creole food this is a great site from my friend:

Cajun food delivered nationwide. New Orleans food delivered to your door. Make Cajun groceries online with CajunGrocer.com.
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 2, 2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

I will 2nd on that site. I have bought a number of products from them including alligator and crawfish. Good service.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here