Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Sausage Patties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Sausage Patties

I love fixing myself a simulated egg McMuffin for breakfast. For sausage, I have been using the frozen pre-cooked sausage patties from the grocery store. Recently decided to try to make my own pre-cooked patties. Cubed about 4 pounds pork (72% loin, 18% back fat, and 10% picnic) and mixed in 1.5% salt and 0.25% Cure#1. Refrigerated 2 days. Then ground partially frozen loin/fat through 1/4" plate and the picnic twice through a 1/8" plate:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ground.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	641842

Mixed together the two grinds than divided in two batches of a bit under 2 pounds. Mixed spices for fennel Italian sausage into one batch and for andouille (without most of the cayenne) into the other batch. Then with apologies to ChefSteps Chicken Roulade recipe, rolled mince very tightly into logs with plastic wrap:

Name:	wrapped.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	641843

Then proceeded to vacuum bag and sous vide at 145º for 3.5 hours. Ice water bath for an hour, unwrapped and smoked at 160º for 3 hours (apple pellets in a-maz-n tube):

Name:	smoking.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	641844

Chilled overnight and sliced:

Name:	sliced.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	641845

Picked a handful of blueberries, sliced a banana, toasted an English muffin, microwaved egg, sausage and cheese, and had breakfast in about 5 minutes. Sausage (especially Italian) much better than the store bought cardboard patties.

Name:	done.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	641846

Will slice up the rest and flash freeze for future use!

Great simulation.

Comment

Outstanding, Good Sir!

Comment

That sausage is really cool! Ok if I use your idea? Looks Great!

Comment

• johnec00
          johnec00 commented
          Editing a comment
          Use away! My patent has not been awarded yet. \s

Yum. Love sausage.

Comment

Great job.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Wow. Those sausages are really impressive. Will have to try them out. Thanks!

Comment

Wow they look good!

Comment

Ever since I got my meat grinder last year I've been wanting to make my own sausage but I've been procrastinating. This thread may prove to be the catalyst that prods me to take action. Thank you for the write-up and the pics. It looks fantastic.

Comment

• JeffJ
                    JeffJ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ClayJones it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. And the answer to when needs to be - very soon.

• ClayJones
                    ClayJones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    haha I hear that! I just got a grinder myself for Christmas and man... I've been giving that and this vacuum sealer a workout! I'm gonna need a second freezer soon...

• JeffJ
                    JeffJ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ClayJones I got the meat grinder and vac sealer for my birthday last year. A couple of weeks ago we acquired for free a small chest freezer. It has made SUCH a nice difference in our household.

Looks outstanding. I gotta get my sausage came back up and running. It's been too long.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here