Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did my first run of bratwurst...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did my first run of bratwurst...

and it was great! I used the grinder attachment on my KitchenAid stand mixer and a Vivo stuffer. The casings were from Butcher and Packer Supply, the recipe from "Homemade Sausage" by Peisker and Carter and an organic picnic shoulder.

It was not without difficulties.

The mix was super-sticky. I lost meat the second time I ran it through the grinder because it was stuck to my hands and again when I put it into the stuffer.

When I bottomed out the plunger on the stuffer, there was still mix in the elbow and spigot. The Vivo has a pressure safety so I can't use air pressure to get it into the casing. I ended up excavating that and frying it as a patty.

Lets see! I love some bratwurst!

Comment

Sticky = extraction of proteins....GOOD STUFF.

Comment

• w12x40
        w12x40 commented
        Editing a comment
        If I use vegetable oil as lube for gloves and pans and such, will that mess with my fat proportions or is that too small to worry about? Will that even work?

With a user name like that, you've got to be a fellow structural engineer. What kind of projects do you work on?

Comment

What is your opinion of the book you used?

Comment

• w12x40
          w12x40 commented
          Editing a comment
          It wasn't much fun to read. I loved "Meat Smoking Manifesto" by Franklin, "Smokestack Lightning" by Elie and "The Encyclopedia of Fish Cookery" by McClane. They're fun to read and informative. In fact, I'd say "Smokestack" was more of a travelogue than a cook book, though it has recipes in the back. This book got results, though - the sausage had great texture and taste.

I've worked in a couple commercial sausage kitchens, we always use meat scraps to push end of a batch through the grinder.

Comment

• w12x40
          w12x40 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a great idea. Next time...

Originally posted by PBCDad View Post
        With a user name like that, you've got to be a fellow structural engineer. What kind of projects do you work on?
        Picking a steel shape as a username guarantees it isn't taken.

Temporary shoring, falsework, construction hoists and demolition. The picture is 11th Avenue and 34th Street in Manhattan. I designed the construction elevator on the near building and another guy in my office designed the one on the far building.
        Attached Files

Comment

• PBCDad
          PBCDad commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! We do some of that work as well, just designed the man-hoist and tower crane tie-ins for the new Convention Center expansion here. Most of our work is seismic retrofit of existing buildings, but the CM&M work gets us onto some pretty cool projects too

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm the much less paid dude that has to figure out drawings from folks like you, nothing nearly as complicated as high rises thankfully I've always been interested in engineering, but just never been that good at math

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          I also have to decipher engineers plans...mechanical engineers. Can be frustrating 😁. My dad was a structural engineer for the Navy.

Originally posted by HawkerXP View Post
        Lets see! I love some bratwurst!
        No pictures of the process - I had meat goo on my hands the whole time.

The second picture is from lunch today. I did my batch of wurst (top pan) and couple of packages of Johnsonvilles. I simmered them (separately) in Yuengling Lager with some coarsely cut onions last night and then grilled them today. The work folks liked mine better than the store ones. It got a little awkward when our junior engineer girly kept saying she loved putting my sausage inside her.

Attached Files

Comment

You bratwurst definitely meets my approval. Cook 1 or two extra for me please. 🕶

Comment

• w12x40
            w12x40 commented
            Editing a comment
            Will do. Next time, we'll do it at the house with a fire pit, beers and cigars for after.

w12x40 Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here