Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finished Internal Temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished Internal Temp?

There is discussion on a fishing website that deals with cured summer sausage and the propper finished internal temp. A friend of mine states that when the cure#1 or the like is used that the safe internal finish temp is 152 degrees to kill the last of the bacteria that can cause issues. Meatheads chart shows that USDA for all ground red meats is 160F (no cure was used). My package summer sausage mixes that have cure#1 in them say to finish @165F.

There is a 13 degree temperature spread there. What are the truths and what is over kill??
    Last edited by Denny O; December 14, 2018, 03:35 PM.

Ground meat, as you use for sausages, is obviously subject to having bacteria mixed throughout the grind and can be more susceptible than say a solid piece of meat to infestation. The reason for the cure #1 is to attack botulism but there are still other little beasties that need heat to make sure that they don't survive. USDA claims 160*, going to 165* certainly isn't a whole lot different. I'd target the USDA temp, you may get a 5* carryover anyway. Be safe !!!

Comment

Thanks Tman, I don't get any carryover because I cold water bath to stop the cooking process. I've always cooked (smoked) to an internal of 163 to 165F. I knew the USDA was a temp of 160F but I never knew if that would be the same for a cured meat that has set stuffed and rested in a fridge for at least overnight to at most one day.

Comment

Oh, I meant to state that my smoker is running steady now @180F I started at 130F and have raised it 10F every hour. I also have Digital probes in 1/2 of the 3 pound logs.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Good Luck with yer summer sausage cook, thanks fer sharin some of yer tips!

• Denny O
          Denny O commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank ya sir!

Thought I'd add a pic, ya know what they say, no pic didn't happen.
        Attached Files

Comment

I believe that this answered my question for the finish temp, As "Meathead" would put it , "The science behind it".

I was and have been focused on the "Finished Temp" of Summer Sausages for years now, I have been making my own for 20 ish years, I’m not a newbie.

I have never received any factual answers from any one that had any factual data backup. I hope that this info will help. This was to inform anyone, that may want to do just a little bit of reading to find what seems to be a truth and, that has creatable facts.

The internet has become more worthy to do research in the last 1 to 3 years now. My search has been relentless at different years without any answers that points away from the 160F final temp, till tonight.

I have finally been able to put my finger on some material that will give me definitive credible answers that resolve my questions.

——————————–

Sausage Making and Safety by the University of Georgia and the USDA FDA

———————————————–

6.7. Sausage

—————————————————–

U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service. 1995b. Focus On: Sausages. Washington DC: United States Department of Agriculture. Available from: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/sausages.htm. Accessed 2001 Sep 30.
          https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp/lit_rev/cure_smoke_ref.html#usfda9—————————————————

————————————–

The final was:
          Most people think that the "Cure#1" or any other cures are a kill all to the evils of pathogens that lies in uncooked meats. I have always believed that it has only to do with the "IT" meat temperatures that will lay in the 40F to 140F within 4 hours. This concept is not new to me and now I believe that my research has proved it. My links may not be enough to convince you all but, I have read more than enough material finally concluding today that, I did put that to bed for myself!

I have also put to bed what the "Safe Final Internal Temp" is, as a minimum internal temperature that is held over a time particular amount of time period.

My search closes my issues with a semi-dry sausage that has been cured the way I do it. I have also found more info that has substantiated my background knowledge on other foods including poultry, that I have made for a safe final temp, the way I do them.

I hope a little reading that I have provided gives you a peace of mind in your food hobbie.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here