Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The icelandic hot dog – pylsur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The icelandic hot dog – pylsur

or for those who prefer not to click through:

Citizens, those of you who have been with me since the beginning know that I am a frequent traveler to the Nordic regions, and in fact enjoyed my honeymoon in Iceland nearly 9 years ago! It was there that I – the always vigilant TFD! – tasted the world’s best hot dog for the first time! 🙂

Doubt me? Read on!

As noted on icelandairhotels.com:

What’s in them?

What sets Icelandic hot dogs apart is that they are made mostly from Icelandic lamb, along with pork and beef. And, this isn’t just any lamb, pork or beef. This is organic, free range, grass fed, hormone free – pick your positive metaphor – Icelandic lamb, pork and beef.

The sheep in Iceland literally roam the countryside until the fall eating berries and leaves. Pigs and cows in Iceland live on small loving farms in one of the cleanest, most pristine environments on Earth. And, the hot dogs are made with natural casings so they have the ‘pop’ when you bit into them!

What are the condiments?

Order an Icelandic hot dog as most Icelanders do and yours will be served on a warm, steamed bun topped with raw white onions and crispy fried onions, ketchup, sweet brown mustard called pylsusinnep, and remoulade, a sauce made with mayo, capers, mustard, and herbs. Maybe you are saying to yourself, "Ew, raw onions. I don’t like raw onions!" Like sushi, or other famous dishes that are literally the sum of their parts, you owe it to yourself to try an Icelandic hot dog with everything first, you will most likely change your tune – we have seen it many times!

How to Order

Assuming we have you convinced you to try one with everything, all you need say when you make it to the counter is "ein með öllu" (roughly pronounced: ane meth alt) will indeed get you one with everything, and may even a wry smile for attempting to speak Icelandic. Not ready to do that? No matter, Icelanders all speak English.

The most famous hot dog stand in Iceland

In downtown Reykjavik, not far from the newly built Harpa Concert and Conference Center is the unassuming Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur hot dog stand (which translates to "best hot dogs in town"). It has been open since 1937 and it’s likely that the vast majority of Iceland’s population has eaten a hot dog from here. It’s even had its fair share of famous visitors including Bill Clinton and Metallica – probably many, many other famous people in secret!

What are they called in Iceland?

In Icelandic a hot dog is called Pylsa or Pulsa (with conjugations). There is actually (not joking) an active controversy amongst Icelanders whether Icelandic hot dogs should be called Pylsa or Pulsa. It is a bit of a silly argument, and both sides think that the other is saying it wrong. It is likely that Pulsa is influenced by the Danish language. The word for sausage in Danish is Polser. The Norse influence (Swedish, Faroese, Norwegian) changes the O in Polser to a Y – Pylsa.

Where to buy them?

The short answer is, everywhere! There are hot dog stands in almost every city, town or village, If there’s no village, you can buy them at every gas station or convenience store. You can even buy them at the airport. All of which is further proof that the Icelandic hot dog may be Iceland’s national dish.

Bring some home and how to cook them

If you develop a Pylsa addiction, like many, you can buy them in the duty free shop on your way home as well as all the other ingredients. Then all you need to know is how to cook them correctly, here too we’ve found differing opinions. The main thing you don’t want to do is overcook them – the trick is NOT to boil them.

Some say to put a little malt beer in the water – that part we will leave to you. Then heat the buns a little before you put in the toppings (the microwave works well for this, but just don’t leave them in too long!) and you will be able to enjoy them at home…until they are all gone, which won’t take long. Then you’ll have one more reason to return to Iceland.

Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur is a small chain of hot dog stands located in Reykjavík, Iceland.

The chain has been in continuous operation since 1937 when the first stand was set up on Austurstræti street at the very center of the city by the grandfather of the current owner, Guðrún Kristmundsdóttir. In the 1960s, it moved two streets north to Tryggvagata, across from the Harpa Concert Hall, where the current flagship stand remains today.

In August 2004, the stand was visited by former United States president Bill Clinton while he was visiting Iceland for a UNICEF conference.

This celebrity appearance led to a boost in popularity for the stand as it began appearing in tourism guidebooks on Iceland. Two years later in August 2006, the British newspaper The Guardian selected Bæjarins Beztu as the best hot dog stand in Europe.

Today, the chain is popular with both tourists and locals. There are three additional locations in the city, which together sell over one thousand hot dogs on a busy day.

A number of celebrity patrons have visited in recent years. Former US president Bill Clinton, Metallica frontman James Hetfield, actor Charlie Sheen and The Food Dictator are among the famous people who have ordered from the stand.

The main stand also appeared in the first season of Anthony Bourdain’s travel program No Reservations.

Citizens, there is no way I can improve on this recipe – you can buy the Icelandic hot dogs, crispy onions, remoulade and mustard at the apropos links. Shipping is expensive at $30 flat, but trust me – you will never try a better tube steak in your life! Just order lots of Icelandic treats to justify the shipping.

Battle on – The Generalissimo

Print
    The Icelandic Hot Dog – Pylsur

Ingredients
    • 6 long white, fluffy hot dog buns
    • 6 pylsur sausages
    • 4 tablespoons Icelandic hot dog mustard
    • 4 tablespoons ketchup
    • 4 tablespoons Icelandic remoulade - recipe below if you aren't buying it remade
    • 6 tablespoons crispy deep-fried onion slivers
    • 6 tablespoons diced shallots
    • 1 ½ cups water mixed with 1 ½ cups of beer (Icelandic Viking or Gull are classic Icelandic beers, but any lager will do)
    • Remoulade:
    • ¾ cup neutral tasting oil
    • 1 egg yolk
    • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    • 2 teaspoons chopped gherkin
    • 2 teaspoons chopped capers
    • 1 tablespoon chopped chervil

Instructions
    1. Braise the pylsur in the beer water just until they are hot.
    2. Split the buns down the middle and lightly toast them, although steaming is the traditional way that TFD prefers.
    3. Add one sausage and the raw onions to each bun.
    4. Add a stripe of mustard, remoulade and ketchup down each sausage.
    5. Top with the crispy fried onions. Enjoy the world’s best hot dog!!!

Send me tickets to Iceland and I'm there! LOL

Comment

Been there and tried. They are great hotdogs. Thanks for the memories.

Comment

Raw white onions have always been my favorite hot dog topping or at least equal to the mustard. Would love to try an Icelandic hot dog. Would also like to try some Japanese hot dogs...
        Last edited by Attjack; October 6, 2018, 11:01 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Very similar to the Norwegian sausage style..
          Thanks for sharing Jhirshon

Comment

Sounds very tasty! I have never had a hot dog with lamb in it.

Comment

So, with shipping they add up to about $12 per dog. That's about what we would pay at a ballgame (At ATT Park anyway), so not too bad.

Comment

I'm always up for trying the various sausages at different places... hot dogs included.

Some of the best I've had were in Austria, just getting various types off the street. Dang, how I miss those! I am heading to Italy in a few weeks and while I know those aren't super common, I will surely be trying LOTS of street foods!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here