Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old fashioned Canadian sausage recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old fashioned Canadian sausage recipe

does anyone have a recipe or suggestion for a Canadian type breakfast sausage? Most breakfast sausage recipes I can find are heavy on the sage. I’m not looking Maple flavoured, it’s probably closer to an English banger with something else I’m having a challenge identifying. I haven’t used Savory much or majorum could it be one of these? There is paprika for sure and perhaps allspice.

Funny when you eat something all your life it’s easy to tell what isn’t the flavour profile but equally I can’t seem to find what is. I’ve got 5k of pork butt for my sausage day to make Alsatian Christmas sausage, Italian but I’d love to get a great breakfast sausage in the mix. Thanks.

Merna

@Stonebrirfarm, I Wish I Coukd Help You Out❗️ I Believe I Can Almost Taste What You're Looking For❓❗️❓ I Was Raised 10 Miles South Of "THE LINE"❗️ Perhaps @Gpwgreene Orandy.wpg Could Help You❓❗️❓
    From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan
    Last edited by Danjohnston949; September 2, 2018, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Don’t have a Canadian recipe as such, but do have one for caribou that I got up north. Maybe the list of ingredients can give you a clue as to the missing flavor,

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      15 lb Caribou
      5 lb Pork -- fresh
      3 oz Water
      1 oz Pepper -- black
      3/4 oz Ginger -- ground
      1-1/4 oz Nutmeg -- ground
      1/2 oz Allspice -- ground
      1/2 oz Coriander -- ground
      2 oz Paprika
      2 ts Garlic powder
      10 oz Salt

Comment

• Livermoron
        Livermoron commented
        Editing a comment
        Caribou! THAT'S what was missing!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        True North!

Ow that sounds promising; thank you. I’m going to convert to grams and make a smaller batch, fry some up and see how close it is.

Comment

Just one addtional to look at. This is what we use for our breakfast sausage here at home. It does have sage, but maybe something else can be substituted. It does have a unique flavor.

• 10-lbs ground pork
        • 4-tbsp salt
        • 1 3/4-tsp white pepper
        • 3 1/2-tsp ground sage
        • 2 1/2-tsp ground thyme
        • 2 1/2-tsp nutmeg
        • 2 1/2-tsp ground ginger
        • 1/2-tsp red chili peppers flakes
        • 1/2-cup cold water

Comment

I’m going to try this as well, I’ll add half the sage and check the seasoning.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here