Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any familiar with surry sausage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any familiar with surry sausage?

I've only followed recipes so far, but want to replicate a local variety (or atleast get close). I know that they use berkshire pork and hickory smoke it. They list ingredients as Pork, salt, water, red pepper, sage, black pepper, sugar, sodium nitrite, natural hog casing. Wondering if this looks familiar to anyone before I take my first guess at ratios.

Most of my batches have been 5lb or less so far. Ordered a LEM grinder and looking forward to branching out from here.

I’m guessing you want something similar to Edward’s. Don’t know their recipe of course, but here is something that might be a starter for ratios to experiment with. Again, this isn’t their recipe and just a starting point for the ratios. I do know Edwards uses fresh sage so you would need to experiment with that. Hopefully you will get a few more replies and can work it out.

2 lb PORK SHOuLDER
    2 ts SALT
    2 ts SAGE
    1-1/2 ts GROUND BLACK PEPPER
    1/2 ts RED PEPPER
    1/2 ts BROWN SUGAR

Comment

• lemayp
      lemayp commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I'm trying to match Edwards. I have sage growing in the garden so no problem there. Thanks for the info.

"Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" might could hook you up

Comment

• lemayp
      lemayp commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like a cool book, thanks.

Since you are getting into sausage making here is a link to a good overview of the basics from the University of Georgia extension service. https://secure.caes.uga.edu/extensio...B%201437_1.PDF

Comment

• lemayp
      lemayp commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, although that variety meats section scares me a little... Took a couple hour class with a local butcher that sparked my interest. Lots of detail in this that I missed there though.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here