Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Kolbasa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Kolbasa

Got 5# fresh Kolbasa from NYC. Taking it back to Texas and smoking it on my stick burner. Never been there or done that. Any guidance will help.

Depends on whether you intend to eat it fresh or preserve it. I'm guessing it only has the correct mix of salts for the former, being that you bought it fresh. So that would be warm smoke to 150 or so (maybe a bit higher if you like it well-done). Be careful not to prick or break the skin - you want them nice and juicy. Keep it in the fridge or freezer before smoking the amount you want for a given meal + leftovers.

It's also nice steamed in a pan if that suits you, says the Slovak.

Comment

Red beans and dirty rice will take that smoked sausage right over the top!

Comment

Dumb question: what is kolbasa? Relation to kielbasa maybe? I ask this not to be a pain in patuti.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, alternate spelling I guess. We called it kielbasa.
          Last edited by EdF; August 6, 2018, 07:46 PM.

• mad mike
          mad mike commented
          Editing a comment
          I spelled it wrong. It's Kolibas. Ukrainian kolibas. Made with larger chunks of meat and more garlic. Way better than any I've ever had.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          We're ready for a recipe!

Now you really have my attention, something I’ve never heard of, then you titilate us with big meat & more garlic. I’m ready.

Comment

Pictures please. We need to see this awesome sausage.
          also where in NYC did you get this from?

Comment

On a recent trip up north, my good friend and fellow Black Belt Stanley Nordiwitz went to his Ukrainian butcher in NYC and got it for me. I'll try and get the name of the butcher and post it if I do but I doubt they will share the recipe. Never know though.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              That'd be good - I get into NYC several times a year, so could pick some up.

Ok EdF- I'm working on it.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              No rush. Next visit is in October, and likely to be a very busy one.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here