Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

July - National Hot Dog Month !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July - National Hot Dog Month !!!

What's more All American then a hot dog in summer? Well July is officially National Hot Dog month, it's estimated over 7 billion hot dogs will be consumed between Memorial and Labor Days. Next to probably pizza, that makes it one of the top world wide favorite fast foods !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1259.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	534092

So as an homage to this ubiquitous little wiener, I thought I'd throw a few foot longs on the barbie for dinner....

Name:	hot dog 04.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	534093

....so as not to serve just any old frank on a bun with some mustard, I thought I'd create a couple of crowd favorites; the quintessential Chicago dog and my tribute to America dog, the East-West USA Special !!!

Name:	hot dogs 01.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	534094

.....most are familiar with the Chicago dog. I grew up in the City and have fond memories of seeking late night hot dog stands to fill my gut. Drug through the garden, here is the classic presentation with pickle, pepper, sweet relish, onions, tomato slices, celery salt and of course yellow mustard (ketchup is strictly forbidden !!!)

Name:	hot dogs 02.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	534095

And to pay tribute to my right and left coast brethren, we have the East-West Dog. I'm using genuine Nathan's hot dogs with chopped homemade pastrami (for a touch of New York !!) and some Cojita cheese with slices of avocado in a splash of EVOO, sprinkled with some Tony C's (for a West Coast flare !!)......

Name:	hot dogs 03.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	534096

So go fire up the grill, grab you some "tube steaks" and get you some of that !!!! Troutman Steve is fixin' to devour some groceries !!!!!

Well done!

Comment

Excellent Troutman just excellent! Just so happens I took some all beef dogs from SRF out of the freezer about a hour ago. Don't think I have all the nice fixin's you have but I'll use what i got around. Starting with wrapping them in kurubota bacon from SRF. Can't find black poppy seed buns anywhere around here so I can't make a official Chicago style anyway so I'll be free wheelin'!
      Thanks for the inspiration!

Comment

Before I read this I'd just tossed 3 all beefs on the Grilla here at work! Testing some Kingsford pellets and my homemade pickle relish.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Let us know about the Kingsford, I’m curious. Also been trying to find B&B briquettes here in Houston, do you know who carries them?

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman I was able to find B&B at HEB and Academy when I lived in Houston.

And here I thought a hot dog was my shepherd with no air conditioning. Nice job

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Like mine, downstairs in the living room - hot and listless!

Very cool and fun! I did something similar when the Cubs and Indians played in the World Series (with no small inspiration from MH). It reintroduced us to the joys of tater tots!

Comment

Happy Julio Hot Dog!

Comment

Cloverdale T-Bone, it's whats for dinner!

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha, that's awesome. I'm a 5th generation Hopland kid so that makes us fellow River Rats.

• Dick Anderson
              Dick Anderson commented
              Editing a comment
              No foolin! I've envied your escape to Jefferson, even more so now

I so want to visit your house. Big thumbs up for those hot dogs.

P.S. There is not a foot long hot dog bun to be had in any grocery store that I have access to. Got the dogs; don't got the buns. Grrrrr.

Kathryn

Comment

• Fire Art
              Fire Art commented
              Editing a comment
              You got a knife

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              But I want the fun of eating a foot-long dog, Fire Art.

K.

• Fire Art
              Fire Art commented
              Editing a comment
              🤔🤓

Those look absolutely amazing!

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Wonderful pics! Thanks! I this weekend might be hotdogs!

Comment

Troutman Those dogs are inspirational! I usually just go with a squirt of mustard and some chopped onions.... I need to get my creative mojo flowing!

Comment

The Chicago Dogs look fantastic.

Comment

You got me looking for Dodger Dogs. Amazon no longer has them. However in my search I ran across these made from reindeer. Just don't tell the kiddies they are eating Bambi!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here