Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andouille Sausage Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jealousy has set in at the Troutman house, I want a grinder but the accountant is stone walling me

Comment

Does oz. equal weight or volume?

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll hazard a guess that it's weight, since he's using TBSP and tsp for some of the volume measures.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        What are you referencing? Liquid? Oz, is oz?

If you were to make this without having a stuffer and casings do you smoke it in logs and slice into patties, vac and freeze then thaw and cook? What other options are there without using casings?

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Crumble and brown in a pan as part of a breakfast. You can do the same thing for lots of dishes you might want to add it to.

MattyV you can also plop the in the vac sealer or zip top bag, SV to 155° internal temp. Shock cool. Then you can smoke to reheat.

you may also smoke n freeze in smaller portions so you can pull out one bag at a time.

Roll into longs, patties etc.... when you have meat all you need is smoke.

Without casings you you may want to pat with a paper towel to remove some residue and you are not creating a "Bark" but simply adding smoke.

I hope this helps.

Comment

• MattyV
        MattyV commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

I was planning on making this recipe this weekend but I cannot find buttermilk powder locally. How critical is it to this recipe? Can real buttermilk be substituted? I've seen a conversion where 1 cup of buttermilk = 1/4 cup buttermilk powder and 1 cup water. What dry volume is 1oz of the powder?
      Last edited by 58limited; November 7, 2019, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Just use milk powder. Not actual liquid milk/buttermilk.

The powder helps it tack up. Where the meat gets "tacky." If you add actual milk it alters the recipe. Who knows, it may work. I think the buttermilk adds adds a flavor profile but it may be a placebo effect???

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks

58limited , buttermilk powder is in the baking section of most grocery stores. It's surprising that at least one of your local stores doesn't care it. Oh well. At least you have a workaround from HouseHomey . Let us know how it turns out for you.

Kathryn

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I found some, one of our local stores had it - they don't have their inventory online so I went there in person and they had it. Interestingly, they didn't have thyme leaves, just powder so I'll go to another store for the thyme. I have a little but not enough for this recipe.
        Last edited by 58limited; November 8, 2019, 12:54 PM.

I would love to make some sausage and try your recipe, but alas making 5 lbs of sausage would require me to freeze some and my Boss informed me that I need to start cooking some of the meat I have stored up in the freezer. So after I get through a few Tri-tips, chucks, prime steaks, a tomahawk ribeye, chicken thighs, chili and tomato sauce I will be able to make me some sausage.....

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll trade you. I’ll make the sausage and send me the tomahawk.

HouseHomey we finally got around to this here is a pic of the sample patty. Just finished stuffing so no pics of the finished product yet, but man is that good. Thanks much for sharing. Wife says thats our new breakfast sausage.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20191110_013719.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	767078

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Comment on my own post. Dang that is good. If I didn't get that across in the original post.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome my friend!!! I just love the stuff. You can do a lot with it. Also the technique of grinding, seasoning and stuffing can be used in a lot of ways.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree, this is a great recipe. I made 25 lbs yesterday. I let it sit overnight for the seasonings to infuse and I've cooked and eaten several patties while letting it sit. I plan to make 5lbs of breakfast patties and freeze them, stuff 10 lbs as-is to smoke, then I'm going to add an extra seasoned pork butt (about 9lbs) to the rest - leaving out the thyme - to make a milder version to stuff and smoke.

I'm really enjoying this recipe. I am about to stuff the 1/2 thyme batch but the full recipe version is in the smoker right now.

Even though the links were of irregular sizes - some 2/3 lb and some 1 1/2 lb - I vacuum sealed 10 bags of the full thyme version - I labelled them Thyme Is On My Side.

OK, here are some pics:

A little taster - how many of these have I eaten since last night?

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2950.JPG Views:	4 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	767282

5 lbs of breakfast patties.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2949.JPG Views:	4 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	767283

10 lbs of stuffed sausage - currently on the smoker with 2 slabs of ribs. This is my first time to stuff sausage and I was surprised at how well it went. I busted one casing, the 3rd one, and that is it. A couple of small air bubbles were the only other real issues plus I learned to prime the stuffing tube before tying off the casing for the first run: VERY large air bubble - about 5 inches long.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2951.JPG Views:	4 Size:	1.31 MB ID:	767281
      Last edited by 58limited; November 10, 2019, 06:55 PM.

Comment

So here it is after smoking and hanging:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20191110_191731.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	767381 I think I smoked it a little too long I had trouble keeping the smoker temp down and it dried out a little. Great flavor though. Definitely a keeper.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks fantastic.

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Really nice.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here