Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Andouille Sausage Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andouille Sausage Recipe

Elton's BBQ theroc barelfly Troutman Here is the recipe I use. Feel free to adjust the season to your tastes. Everything I write is suited to my own tastes and my family. SWMBO convinced me to write this in the American system (errr....). Here you go.

Ingredients

5 lbs Pork Butt, strips to fit your grinder
    1 lbs Fat Back, cut for your grinder
    8 oz Fat back, small dice (1/4"x1/4"x/1/4")
    4 oz Ice cold water
    1 oz Kosher Salt
    1/2 oz Black pepper
    1 oz Dried Thyme (quality French thyme)
    3 oz Garlic paste
    2 TBSP Cayanne
    1.5 TBSP Granulated sugar
    1 oz Buttermilk Powder
    1 tsp Prague Powder #1 (measure carefully please)

Hog Casings soaked and flushed well with water (at least for 4 hours on the soak)

Method:
    Place the pork strips and the 1 lbs of fat back on a sheet pan and put in the freezer to chill but not freeze. Grind the fat and meat together. Whisk the spices and seasonings with water. Add meat to mixing bowl with paddle attachment. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your mixer.

Mix meat slowly and add the water mix along with the diced fat back. You are looking for a tacky meat mix, "the set up." Cook off a piece and test for season and flavor. Stuff your casings into 4oz to 6oz links (poke some holes where the air bubbles are) and hold overnight in the fridge.

Smoke at 185-195 degrees until an internal temp of 155 degrees. Rinse with cold water and hang the sausage for 90 minutes. Cut your links and be sure to cut off excess skin. Refrigerate or freeze immediately.

For serving heat clarified butter and bring up to temp while crisping the skin or cook low n slow and sear.

OK you’re officially the man ......

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I love this recipe. I

What Troutman said.

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I love this recipe!

What Troutman and fzxdoc said..... man, I gotta make this soon!

Comment

Thanks! Can't wait to give this a try.

Comment

Thanks! But no intestines?

Comment

• RobertC
          RobertC commented
          Editing a comment
          Andouille doesn't mean the same thing in Louisiana and in France--and that's a good thing.

Thanks, Homey. It's always great to get input from a pro. BTW, writing in both metric and American would be fine.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you sir. The issue is... I'm used to eyeballing the herbs and season, cooking some and tasting it. Standardizing is a pain as most people dont get the exact same ingredients with all the same variables.

Thanks HouseHomey i look forward to try this recipe!

Comment

Sounds good--and it's on tap. One question: what do you mean by "garlic paste"?

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Take you garlic cloves quickly mince it and then smash it with your knife (laying it flat and pushing back n forth without cutting yourself) into a paste. You may also use a metal Bench scraper.
            Last edited by HouseHomey; July 2, 2018, 10:26 PM.

Awesome post Homey!

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Gracias amigo.

I’d love to try it but I’ll admit to being intimidated by making sausages. Sounds awesome.

Comment

• Sfdrew28
            Sfdrew28 commented
            Editing a comment
            I am going to give it a try without the casings like you mention below. Knowing myself though, once I have the sausage meat I'm going to have to attempt the casings.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I'm talking about. Wrap your excess meat thighly in plastic or vac seal. Keep the air from it.

• Sfdrew28
            Sfdrew28 commented
            Editing a comment
            Meat grinder attachment to my stand mixer arrived last night. Goal is to try this out by end of weekend

Sfdrew28 I'm sure you can learn. It's just about technique and a little bit of knowledge. The stuffing of the casing just takes practice. It may not look pretty at first but the sausage will still be tasty with the right technique and ingredients. Mine look terrible.

Practice first with the sausage and cook it wothout a casing.

You can roll it in plastic wrap and poach it like a galentine. you can make patties, you can vac seal it and Sous Vide, you can roll links without a casing, you can make one of those "Fatties" I've been seeing here in the pit and from Thermoworks, this makes an awesome smoked Scotch egg (I did 200 of these once for an event, went through about 100 bucks in fryer oil but it sure was guuudd) if you smoke it first and then bread and fry....

So many things to do with it.

I hope this helps you
          HH
          Last edited by HouseHomey; July 2, 2018, 10:50 PM. Reason: cleaning up my act and keeping Huskee sane.

Comment

Why is Prague Powder in the recipe?

I recently started making sausage, but haven't done an Andouille yet. Thanks for the recipe!

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              It helps the wet cure and adds a littlle pink color. The technical answer is for "color and freshness." It's not gonna hurt you and it's a little insurance.

HouseHomey I made the sausages exactly to spec today. The grinder I ordered came missing part of the sausage maker so I made three little sausages and then three patty logs I’ll smoke tomorrow. What type of smoke you recommend?
            The test piece tasted really good and looking forward to some great patties.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Sfdrew28
              Sfdrew28 commented
              Editing a comment
              Photos out of order as usual and I might add that my three sausages ain’t bad for first time ever.

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              The reason i don't recommend the KA stuffer (I love my KA grinder) is the skill is stuffing needs to be learned before you use one with a motor.

• Sfdrew28
              Sfdrew28 commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh I see. The true KA meat grinder doesn't come with the stuffer and it's another add on. I am going to try and edumacate myself via the interweb and youtube today on how to do it. I got a good starter lesson from my butcher yesterday.

Awesome brother. You can adjust the recipe on your next try. This is how my family likes it. Kinda "thyme-eee." Also less heat and no small diced park like a lot of others have.

ive been in love with cherry lately. Apple is good, peach too and one time pecan was "outstanding!"

i am very excited for you. I don't recommend the sausage stuffer from KA and dontecomend a 10lbs-20lbs hand crank grinder from "the sausage maker" in Buffalo. They are costly though.

nice work my friend!!

Comment

• Sfdrew28
              Sfdrew28 commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ll use the pecan tomorrow. I’m planning to slice the rolls, vac seal, and freeze them except for a batch to eat in the next few days. You don’t recommend either of the two you mentioned? I got a Gvode stainless steel grinder with sausage stuffed attachment that works with the kitchen aid. It grinded well but can’t comment on the sausage stuffing part because they’re mailing me one now.

• Catmandu
              Catmandu commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the Gvode grinder and stuffer attachments. Both work well. Make sure the meat and the Gvode are well chilled.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here