Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your favorite method for cooking brats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Johnsonville "Beer Brats" are uncooked, most of their other offerings are cooked. I love Meathead’s method for the uncooked, the others I use the griddle now that I have it.

Comment

I got so much advice from this thread but I asked my gf how she thought I should do them, and she said smoked like I usually do them. So they are getting smoked with oak. Over the next few weeks I'll employ some if the techniques you guys like to use.

Here's what I'm working with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180701_191816.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	525253Click image for larger version

Name:	20180701_192132.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	525254

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        As you know it's the oldest brewery in the world. Established 1040 AD.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Those sausages look pretty interesting! Let us know how they come out!

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        They were great. The guy who made them gave us samples of his full line. I was surprised the chicken sausage was so good.

I cook mine on a gas grill. Indirect on low until fully cooked, and then put some grill marks on them on the hot side when done. I tried smoking them, but that just left me with very tough skin on the brats.

I was taught this method by my son in law's father, who is from Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
        Ya know the saying if "ya boil ribs" & the terrorist thing. Well if’n Ya put yer brats in water ya just might be a weenie. And ya know what happens to weenies.
        I give up. What happens?

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Only good things have happened to mine.

Name:	20180701_194736.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	525308Click image for larger version

Name:	20180701_200124.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	525309

Comment

• Polarbear777
          Polarbear777 commented
          Editing a comment
          With those pictures together it looks like the dog is dreaming.

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Aw, the poor puppy - he looks soooo hungry.

Or this...

Name:	D82285EB-C001-4484-8D14-81E4E3E3D082.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	527697

Comment

I put sausage in a pan with beer. Let the beer boil away. Then poke holes in the casing so the grease flows out, then pan fry the sausage in its own grease until done.

But that smokes up the kitchen to the point where smoke alarms go off. So my wife insists that I cook em on the grill. So I set the Primo up for dual zone, pit em on heavy smoke for a bit, then they go over direct heat.

Either way. It’s all good.

Comment

duplicate removed

Comment

This is my most common way i make wieners..

Bratwurst will be simmered in beer and then grilled..
              Last edited by Elton's BBQ; July 6, 2018, 04:04 AM. Reason: Added pic's

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Beautiful shots, Brother!
                Might try hittin th buns with some butter, then givin em a brief toast on a grill, under a broiler, or even over a gas stove burner! (Toaster oven works fine, as well...options are always good!)
                It adds a very nice flavour, an texture component.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                Editing a comment
                Unfortunately, we CANNOT get proper sausages over here in the States in the shape, size and variety you guys have access to in Europe.

Living the first 20 years of my life in Wisconsin, I've had brats and wieners prepared just about every way you can imagine. My preferred method is low and slow with a kiss of smoke, but a beer brat has never been neglected by me. I do not recommend microwaving them, this is just horrible. The memory of this haunts me to this day.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, nukin em is horrible.

As others have mentioned. I love Meathead's Brat tub recipe. That is a must, if you have not tried that recipe.

I like to use Rogue Hazelnut Beer for the tub. It reduces into a glorious reduction that is absolutely incredible. I can't get enough, I highly recommend you trying it out.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                That beer is something else. Never considered cooking with it but now I realize it's an ideal choice. It's a little much for drinking pints of it.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, it's full of flavor, wait for the smell when you reduce it!
                Attjack

This link landed in my email box today:

https://blog.thermoworks.com/2018/07...memadeBrats-cs

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Great article, thanks fer sharin, amigo!

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                You bet, Mr. Bones

Saw some uncooked Johnsonville Firecracker brats at WalMart the other day. "Limited Edition" or something like that. I think there was another kind, some kind of cheesy something or other.

There's a German deli down in Tulsa I get real brats at when I can, but sometimes I'm stuck with the Johnsonville offerings.

Comment

I'll be doing this all week.

Name:	2UZc2VN.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	528484

​​​​​​

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks like a week in Paradise, Brother!
                  Enjoy!!!!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here