Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Sausage

I admit I really don't know much about sausage so there very well may be another name for what I was looking for and possibly a better way of making it. I was after a central texas style smoked sausage (I think). I found lots of brat and kielbasa recipies so not having found much I decided to go it alone and figure it out. Here is the recipe that I came up with and it turned out great!

50/50 pork and beef, I used a pork butt and chuck roast as they seem to have about a 20% fat content. The weigh ended up around 5 lbs each for a total of just over 10 lbs after removing the bone.
    Ingredients:
    10 lbs of meat
    1/4 cup coarse black pepper
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    1/4 cup of garlic powder
    1/4 cup paprika
    1 tbsp onion powder
    1/8 cup dry ground mustard
    1 tbsp crushed red pepper
    1/2 tbsp ground cayenne pepper
    1 tsp marjoram
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 cup water
    Hog casings

I removed the bone and cut up the meat into chunks that would fit into the grinder. Then, mixed in the seasoning mix and water and spread the meat out on a baking sheet. I placed that in the freezer until just before frozen (grinds easier that way). I ran that through the grinder and mixed the ground meat to make sure spices and meat were properly mixed. Then, I stuffed the sausage into hog casings and left them un-covered in the refrigerator to dry out a bit over night. Caution, the spices really stink up a refrigerator so I would recommend using a garage refrigerator.

I lightly smoked with apple wood and cooked off at 350 deg until internal temp was just below 160, then threw them on a hot grill to sear a bit and served. I found that they really take on the smoke so go lightly.

I am totally open to suggestions on anythign I may have done incorrectly or anything I can improve on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sausage-pork.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	522108

Name:	Sausage-beef.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	522106

Name:	Sausage-cubedandseasoned.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	522107

Name:	Sausage-Grinder.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	522109

Name:	Sausage-finished.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	522105

Dang, another project to take on :-) .... those look fantastic

Comment

• kamadoRob
      kamadoRob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! It's been a fun project so far. I've perfected breakfast sausage and now this.

Love to grill some already smoke sausage. Wife found out what the casings were made from so she just wants patty sausage now. No problem for me, lot easier to make.

Comment

• kamadoRob
      kamadoRob commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a very small window of things I can smoke that the wife will eat. She knows what the casings are made of, she's even seen them soaking and still eats them so I'm counting myself fortunate.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow Jerod! Lucky dog! That's half the battle.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      kamadoRob the soaking is what killed it. Yeah HouseHomey I'm a sausage GI Joe

Looking good brother! Yeah, my garage and kitchen fridge are still faintly stinking from Saturdays sausage making.

Comment

• kamadoRob
      kamadoRob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Yeah, I put it in the garage and went back out about an hour later and couldn't believe how strong it was. It sure tasted good though!

Ya got my mouth waterin'.

Comment

Sausage looks,great!! I like making sausage and I'll have to give this recipe a try. Like you, I've been looking for a Texas hot link recipe

Question- I thought if you smoke sausage, you need to add pink salt??

Comment

• kamadoRob
        kamadoRob commented
        Editing a comment
        You can add Prauge powder (pink salt) if you want but I didn't on these because I hot smoked them the next day. If you are planning to cold smoke you would definatley want to add some. I'm no expert by any means though so if that's something I should be adding I want to know.

Sounds really good!

Comment

Are you looking for Texas Hot Guts, or East Texas Hot Links? Two different breeds. Hot Guts are sometimes called Elgin Hot Links.

Comment

• kamadoRob
          kamadoRob commented
          Editing a comment
          Honestly I’m not sure. I’ve had ‘Texas’ style smoked sausage. I think I’m really close here and this recipe was awesome but slightly different. What I’ve had was spicey but not overly hot.

Wow, those look awesome! How'd you get them in the casings?

Comment

Nice work kamadoRob. I’m hoping to try some sausages myself very soon. Your successes are proving very inspirational.

Comment

Man that looks awesome... would love to have tried one of those!

Comment

I'm going to save your recipe and make me some sausage. Thanks

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here