Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official Coney Dog Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Aimless1 I haven't had it either. To be honest I get cravings for chili dogs. And when I do it's right to the store for a can of Hormel chili with beans and some good natural casing dogs. I'm guessing the lard adds a lot of flavor with a little artery blockage thrown in!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't be afraid to use Wolf brand chili, great on chili dogs!
      Not sure if ya can git it in yer area...

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      switch to WOLF if going canned. You are welcome. Mr. Bones is spot on.

I have seen the Wolf brand on the shelf Mr. Bones I will give it a try thanks for the heads up!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      My pleasure, amigo!
      I like it better than th Hormel's, but tastes vary, of course.
      It is available with/without beans, as ya prefer, an even turkey chili
      LMK what ya think, it's mighty tasty stuff!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      turkey... that's NOT chili, and beans...ok i wont start. IF trying to go light, they have a lean chili that is good too! Mr. Bones

Beef hearts make a fantastic coney sauce. We cook them dirty water style and then use some of the "dirty water" in the coney sauce. Thicken with unflavored quick oats. We call it hotdog sauce. Steam the buns a bit, then put in a baking dish with grain mustard on the bun, drop in a dog, 2 Tbs of sauce, dice onions (we use carmelized sometimes) and a sprinkle of cheese. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Not truly authentic, but really really good.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      by "them" we mean the dogs. Nathans cased dogs. Get them at Sams. they freeze well. IF we cant get those, we use ballpark all angus (our go to grill dog)

I've used the beef hearts, lamb and chuck. Its amazing.

Comment

Another idea for your coney sauce might be to grind up a tamale or two in sauce. It’s quite good

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome to Th Pit!
        Glad to have ya here!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        first post, and I already like his/her style!!!! BRing it on!!!!

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Yum!

Kathryn

OK - I took a stab at creating the perfect coney sauce recipe today. I also christened the meat grinder I just got for my birthday in the process. My attempt at creating the perfect coney sauce was met with mixed results. First, the positive - the technique and proportion of thickener+liquid produced a perfect texture and consistency which is something that has always eluded my past attempts at coney sauce. The combination of ingredients was mostly spot-on and the only detractions can be fixed by the process of addition by subtraction. I used some apple cider vinegar and ketchup in the sauce that is pictured below. I was pressed for time and test-tasted the sauce before everything had melded and felt it needed to be amped up a bit. When it was done simmering it was a bit over-amped and the ketchup and cider vinegar were the culprits.

This is a very zesty sauce and the recipe will follow the pics (I'll also create a separate thread with just the recipe):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1571.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	492061

The meat browning in the water:

Name:	IMG_1573.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	492055

The finished sauce:

Name:	IMG_1575.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	492056

Dinner time!

Name:	IMG_1578.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	492057

Name:	IMG_1579.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	492059
      My Mother-in-law building her Coney Dog:

Name:	IMG_1580.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	492060

My plate - I don't like raw onions:

Name:	IMG_1581.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	492058

Here is the recipe:

Coney Sauce
      • 1 lb. ground chuck
      • 1/2 t kosher salt*
      • 1/2 t Lawry’s seasoned salt
      • 1 C water
      • 3 T tomato paste
      • 1 T chili powder
      • 1 T cumin powder
      • 1/4 t celery seed
      • 1/2 t black pepper
      • 1/4 t paprika
      • 1/4 t sugar
      • 1 T Worchestershire
      • 1 T hot sauce**
      • 1 T Masa Harina***
      • 1/2 t garlic powder
      • 1/4 t onion powder

*If grinding your own meat use this to dry brine 1 pound of chuck roast prior to grinding.

**I use my homemade sauce. The best approximation in terms of heat is 1/2 T of Frank’s and 1/2 T of Tabasco.

***Masa Harina is corn flour and is highly recommended over all-purpose flour for this dish.

Directions:
      • In a medium sauce pot add the ground chuck and water. Do not brown the meat first. The goal here is to chop the meat up into really small pieces and cooking it this way achieves that. Stir and chop at meat constantly until it browns.
      • After the meat browns add the remaining ingredients.
      • Bring to a boil and stir constantly to fully integrate the tomato paste and empower the corn flour to thicken the sauce.
      • Reduce to a gentle simmer and let all of the components meld, uncovered, over the course of a half hour.

Notes:
      • For a classic Coney use a natural casing frank, top with coney sauce, yellow mustard and then chopped white onionserved on a warmed bun.
      • Proper balance is the key. Even with the coney sauce this is a dog that should be able to be eaten with your hands. Have a fork handy to mop up a bit of coney sauce that oozes out, but if a fork and knife is needed you have too much coney sauce on your Coney dog.

Comment

Makes a thread, gets pretentious, and preaches about Real Coneys... calls it the Official Coney Thread.... then Doesn’t make or eat Real Coneys....

Seriously I mean there was a lot of typing defining what a real coney was then it was like... but I don’t like this about a real coney or that about a real coney so I’m going to do a different process, use or not use required ingredients for a real coney, and still call it a real coney and have this turned into an official coney thread.

So if we are going off script here I prefer a sweet style coney with big chunks of burger and isn’t as soupy...

1lb Hamburger
        Onion
        Ketchup (not a lot)
        Brown Sugar
        BBQ Sauce
        Worcestershire Sauce
        Country Bobs
        Salt & Pepper
        Water
        Mustard
        Horseradish

As you will notice there are no set measurements really. That was the way it was told to me by someone who made this Sloppy Joe recipe that also doubled well as a Hot Dog topper or "Coney Sauce". Heck maybe this should be called a Sloppy Dog.

Make it to taste and add some other stuff like pepper flakes or garlic if you want.

And if you go out and use it or sell some version of this then just make sure to send me my fair share of the check.

Comment

Nate That is a cool recipe. Like any culinary item, it's all in the eyes of the beholder. On this thread my goal was to point out the origin of the Coney Dog is actually Michigan and not Coney Island, New York.

The recipe I created is no more authoritative than a New York thin-crust pizza is to a Chicago thick-crust, or a rack of Eastern Carolina spare ribs is to a Texas dry-rub rack of ribs. They are ALL good. They are ALL different. And that's a good thing. Chicago is known for "Chicago Dogs" and they have pickle relish and sauerkraut, among other things.

When I was researching for my recipe I discovered that in certain places (New York and DC) that some restaurants serve a Coney Dog as I have tried to create here and call it a "Michigan Dog".

If you want to sample a regional staple, try my recipe and make sure everything else is in balance - you need to be able to pick it up and eat it with your hands. My oldest puts the coney sauce and onions underneath the frank to prevent spillage.

PS - I really like the inclusion of horseradish in your recipe. That is a cool touch.

PPS - What is Country Bobs?

Comment

JeffJ , I was just "dogging" (pun intended) a bit. I honestly don't think there is much of anything that is truly authentic anymore... As technology changes, time passes etc... things just naturally evolve... Heck they say that the food we grow today tastes nothing like it did 50 years ago...

I LOVE Coney dogs though... not Chili Dogs though.... When I was growing up I went to a lot of auctions because my father is an auctioneer. I always loved it when the food vendor had Coneys... We would have a charge account for the auction staff and I always managed to sneak a few coneys in while running sheets from the auctioneers to the checkout trailer.

My wife and I also still go to a local drive in and get their Coneys... We usually get a little sauce cup of it too to dip our fries in... and of course we have to get the homemade root beer... Usually before winter I will buy a 32oz thing of coney sauce and take home and freeze it so on those lazy nights we can have some if we want.

I'm going to try to use some of the tips you have in your posts and from some of the others to modify my "recipe", if you can call it that, to see if I can get a more traditional consistency.

Country Bobs is a steak sauce that is fairly popular around where I'm at in Indiana... WalMart and all the grocery stores carry it here... kind of a sweeter sauce...

Comment

This was an excellent thread.. Here in Norway we have no tradition on making Coney Dogs.. This will will change, atleast for my part.. :-)
              So thanks JeffJ , Nate and Frozen Smoke for sharing recipes..
              Found this on wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_hot_dog
              Last edited by Elton's BBQ; April 30, 2018, 07:22 AM. Reason: added funfacts

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here